Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Richard Naughton c1908

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alex

Alex Report 11 Nov 2008 11:21

Hi all,
I am trying to trace a Michael Richard Naughton born 1908 (location unknown). His parents according to his memorial plaque in Plymouth Naval Yard were Michael and Unity Naughton. I have been unable to find any mention of this family anywhere. I do know that Michael emigrated to Australia in 1926 age 18 and his last address was Ladylands, Hartwood Lanarkshire, Scotland. His occupation was listed as pithead labourer. He was lost overboard from HMAS Gascoyne in the Coral Sea in 1944.
Any help finding info no his parents would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Alex

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2008 12:33

There is a birth for a Michael Naughton 1907 in Lanarkshire on Scotlandspeople. Sorry, I don't have any credits to view it.

Moggie

Moggie Report 11 Nov 2008 12:35

Hi
Potty beat me to it but the district is Shotts. I searched on this because in 1901 living at Shotts was a Michael Naughton, coal miner born c1867
Newmains Lanarkshire.
Moggie

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2008 12:40

Well done, Moggie. Can you find the marriage?

Moggie

Moggie Report 11 Nov 2008 12:46

There is also a marriage of a Michael Naughton in 1907 in Lanarkshire but if you put in Unity for spouse's name it says No matches.
Moggie

Moggie

Moggie Report 11 Nov 2008 12:55

Bride's christian name Yuna or Yuna+ other letters.
Moggie

Alex

Alex Report 11 Nov 2008 12:57

Thanks Potty and Moggie, I think you could be both right. I had a look at Scotlands people and found a Marriage record for a Michael Naughton and a Yunay Gallacher in 1907 for Glasgow City Blythwood Lanarkshire. I guess it wouldn't be hard to mistranscribe Yanay as Unity. Will order the cert just to make sure.
Cheers
Alex

Moggie

Moggie Report 11 Nov 2008 14:25

Hi Alex
Possible marriage for Michael's parents
10th Apr 1864 Old Monkland
Michael Naughton & Mary Mcavoy.
This marriage cert should give you the names of their parents and take you back another generation. The bad news is that they were both born in Ireland.

Baptism for his brother James, parents Michael Naughton & Mary Mcavoy. 2nd Jan 1865 Old Monkland.

1871 Scotland Census
about Michael Naughton
Name: Michael Naughton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relationship: Son
Father's Name: Michael
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Old Markland, (Old Monkland?? )Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 611
Registration district: Riccarton
Civil Parish: Riccarton
County: Ayrshire
Address: Portland Row
ED: 4
Household schedule number: 70
Line: 12
Roll: CSSCT1871_114
Household Members: Name Age
James Naughton 6
John Naughton 2
Mary Naughton 25
Michael Naughton 25
Michael Naughton 4

Moggie

Alex

Alex Report 12 Nov 2008 05:07

Thank you Moggie!!!!!!!! Now to fight the Irish fight Oh well.