Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 14 Nov 2008 00:03

My 2x gt uncle served with 1st Field Sqdn, Royal Engineers and from my 2x gt grandfather's 1916 obituary he was in France during WW1.

He died in 1921 in Cambridge Hospital from pneumonia..his occup Private Royal Engineers however he is remembered on the CWGC site...buried at Aldershot Military Cemetery.

Am I right in thinking that he was a professional soldier.

Many thanks for any advice.

Linda

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 14 Nov 2008 00:18

If he died in 1921 as a Private Royal Engineers he was a career soldier.
He was a profession soldier.If he had died during the war then he could have been a volunteer.So you are correct.

***Michelle***

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 14 Nov 2008 00:23

Thanks Michelle...

It seemed a silly question when I was typing lol but I just wanted to make sure.

Linda

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 14 Nov 2008 00:29

Not a silly question and always best to be sure.
Happy searching!

***Michelle***