Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trojan Horse Virus! HELP PLEASE!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 14 Nov 2008 23:23

Does anyone know what this means?

Threat detected

File name -C:\Windows\system\32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10a.exe

Threat name Trojan horse PSW. Generic6.AQPD
Deleted on Open.

How can I get rid of it? I have run anti virus and everything but it still comes up.

Betty

Paul

Paul Report 14 Nov 2008 23:36

Nothing to worry about. It's a legitimate file that ships with the latest version of Flash and is harmless and not a virus.

You should have an option in your virus/spyware program to add it to an ignore or exclusion list so use that.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 14 Nov 2008 23:42

Thanks Paul,

But knowing nothing at all about computers I don't know how to get rid of it.

I use AVG free edition and also have Super anti syware free edition.

What should I do? Please talk to me like a 5 year old who knows nothing about computers.

Betty

Paul

Paul Report 14 Nov 2008 23:54

Well first of all you COULD just ignore it as it will do no harm to your PC.

I use AVG Free also but can't recall it ever picking anything like this up. It SHOULD give you an option to mark the file as safe ...... usually "Ignore" or "Exclude". All of these anti-virus type programs come with an "ignore list" that you can add to if it starts picking up on files you know are safe and okay ...... you just need to find out how to add this file to it.

Not sure if this is five year old speak but this is from the AVG site ........

==================================

If you need to exclude a certain "Potentially unwanted program" from any detection by AVG Free (for example if you are using an Ad-sponsored program or utility, which could be dangerous, but could also be used with your knowledge), you can exclude it from AVG Free Resident Shield and AVG Free tests detection this way:

Please open the AVG Free program -> "Tools" menu -> "Advanced settings" -> "PUP exceptions" -> push the "Add exception" button to add a new exception.
Now find the file you want to except from AVG Free detection. If you are not sure that the file location is static, enable "Any location - do not use full path" function.
Save the setting using the "Add" button.
These exceptions can be used for "Potentially unwanted programs" only. If you set the exception for a viral file (Trojan horse, I-Worm, Worm, W32...), this file will be still detected by AVG Free tests and the AVG Free Resident Shield.

These exceptions are not used for the AVG Free Email Scanner.

Note: The exceptions can be created for files only, not for folders.

=================================

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Nov 2008 00:01

Thanks Paul,

But I really don't understand anything written under this bit
If you need to exclude a certain "Potentially unwanted program"

I will just accept what you say its not a real problem and just leave alone.

Thanks so much for all your help and information anyway.

Betty

Heather

Heather Report 15 Nov 2008 12:12

Doesnt it say "deleted on Open" - so its already gone?