Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mothers maiden name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Nov 2008 03:42

Yet another glitch somebody might be able to help me with.

William and Sarah Wilcox.

William is from Birmingham and born 1800 ish (from the 1841 census as his yob gets earlier as he gets older ;) ) Sarah is from Pillerton Priors near Stratford upon Avon. Born approx the same year. They had children Jemima, Kezia, William and Isaac. Kezia died mid teens, no trace yet of William, Isaac married Mary Ann Hackett and Rebecca married Joseph Dudley Watts.

I have Kezias death certificate, Jemimas marriage certificate, Isaacs marriage certificate and Sarahs death certificate and I just cannot find out what Sarahs maiden name might have been...

My problem is that there is an IGI marriage for William Wilcox to a Sarah Wagstaff in "of Wyre Piddle" which is very VERY close both to south Birmingham and Pillerton Priors. I belive that this is too much of a coincidence not to be my William and Sarah but obviously I need some verification of her maiden name to tie it in...none of her children were born late enogh to have birth entries and I have ordered all of the certificates that might have on the off chance had the information on them so I'm stuck now.

Could anyone shed some light on where to turn next?
Thanks in advance.
Gem. xx

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2008 07:02

Another possibility - this one is much closer to Pillerton Priors, where your Sarah was from:

WILLIAM WILCOX
Spouse: SARAH LAMB
Marriage: 26 AUG 1822 Barford, Warwick, England

Actually I think that this is far more likely to be yours than the Sarah Wagstaff one. Wyre Piddle is not really that close to Pillerton Priors - it's about 35km away, and in a different county.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2008 07:21

Ooh - and there was a Sarah Lamb born in Pillerton Priors at about the right time!!

SARAH LAMB
Christening: 25 JUN 1797 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England
Father: RICHARD LAMB
Mother: HANNAH

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2008 07:29

Hehehehe... Proof:

On the 1851 census, William Wilcox is at home alone with the kids, whilst Sarah Wilcox is a visitor at the house of Thomas & Hannah LAMB (all born pillerton Priors!!)

Name: Sarah Wilcox
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1797
Relation: Visitor
Where born: P Priors, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Pillerton Priors
County/Island: Warwickshire
Registration district: Shipston On Stour
Sub registration district: Campden
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 14
Household Members: Name Age
Sarah Balerd 22
Hannah Lamb 59
Thomas Lamb 49
Thomas Lamb 14
Sarah Wilcox 54
HO107; Piece: 2076; Folio: 674; Page: 4

Name: William Wilcox
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1784
Relation: Head
Where born: Rowington, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Birmingham St George
County/Island: Warwickshire
Registration district: Birmingham
Sub registration district: St George
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Household schedule number: 125
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Bradbury 33
Frances Humphries 31
Isaac Wilcox 11
Jemima Wilcox 22
William Wilcox 67
HO107; Piece: 2058; Folio: 145; Page: 25

QED !

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2008 07:39

Sarah and her siblings, including Thomas from the 1851 census. All have parents Richard & Hannah:

ANN LAM - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 17 JAN 1796 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

SARAH LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 25 JUN 1797 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

ELIZABETH LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 28 APR 1799 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

THOMAS LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 11 JUL 1802 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

JOHN LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 23 JUN 1805 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

ALLES LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 27 SEP 1807 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

MARY LAMB - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 07 MAY 1809 Pillerton Priors, Warwick, England

... and possibly Richard & Hannah's marriage (Sutton under Brailes is about 10km from Pillerton Priors):

RICHARD LAMB
Spouse: ANNE ARNALL
Marriage: 08 SEP 1795 Sutton Under Brailes, Warwick, England

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Nov 2008 13:02

OMG! Richard I could kiss you. :*

Thankyou so so much. I had got the census where she is visiting family but I just hadn't put it all together and hadn't found the marriage.

I cannot thankyou enough. xx

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Nov 2008 13:37

I'm very sorry a big thankyou to Joan (amokavid) too. I really do appreciate people taking the time to reply. xxx

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2008 13:46

Hi Gem - Joan is right, you should still check the baptims and also the marriage in the original register. Sometimes these have more info than is on the IGI. In particular - check the witness names on the marriage as these are often family! Anyway, am glad that we found a lead on your family!

cheers,
Richard

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Nov 2008 17:16

I suppose I have to actually visit the parish to view the origional register? These arn't available online are they? I didn't realise that the origional register would say who the witnesses were...although it should be common sense it just hadn't occured to me and I have found a few for other lines in the family too so there should be some leads there too.

When I hit a brick wall everyone manages to demolish it within 24hours. You wonderful people.

(although I do have an even bigger mystery that I cannot resolve but it's fairly recent history...died during WW1 and I have childrens names etc, they are all dead now but descendents of theirs arn't so I'm working out how to word it and checking with families as to what information they want etc 1st. It should be written up by tommorow)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 15 Nov 2008 17:54

You don't necessarily have to visit the parish to see the entries. They should have copies on film (or possibly the originals) at the archives closest to the event. Just phone the archives and find out how much they would charge for copies.

Gemma

Gemma Report 15 Nov 2008 20:53

Thanks Von I know my mom has done research through the microfilms at the LDS centre near us so I might send her on that little quest. ;) New technology scares most people it's the old ones that bother me. ha ha.

Thanks Janet. That sounds like it would be easier for me if mom has no luck.

Cheers for all of your help. xx

Gemma

Gemma Report 17 Nov 2008 02:48

It all ties in. Have just spoken to my grandad and told him the new development and he said "oh yes I remember an aunty Fanny Lamb, I didn't know she was actually related" Oh dear. *Rolls eyes*

Thanks Everyone. xx