Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

printing a census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 16 Nov 2008 08:03

Please how do I print the census without all the black edges around could someone tell if in easy terms thanking you

Margaret

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 16 Nov 2008 08:20

Hi Margaret, depends on which programme you are using.

If it is Ancestry, then on the top right hand corner of the page it will say "printer friendly" click on this and it will bring up a clearer page to print.

If you are trying to print the original transcript, you will get the black edging. I save this to my computer as a .jpeg and then cut the edging before printing.

Gail

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 16 Nov 2008 08:29

Thank you Gail when you say cut the edging how do you do that I must be stupid

Margaret

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 16 Nov 2008 08:53

No not stupid Margaret, it took me some time to learn.

Do you have a programme for photo editing? I use mine to do the editing. Remember to resize to A4 before printing. The original documents can be very big, makes it harder to read smaller but I have not found a way around this.

There is usually a CROP function on the photo editing part of the programme, and you will need to play around with this.

I think there are some free downloads of photo editing but off hand cannot think of any.

Maybe someone else will know about free stuff.

Regards

Gail

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 Nov 2008 11:39

I use picasa 2 from google.
my knowledge of what it does is severely limited!

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 16 Nov 2008 13:37

It is possible to cut the edges off in Word.

1. Save the census image to your computer as a jpg. (Make sure you know which folder you save it to)

2. Open Word and go to File and selet Page set up.

3.Make the margins as low as you can, eg 0.5 cm.

4.Click on the Paper Size tab and select landscape. Then click OK

5. Click Insert. Then select Picture from the drop down menu and click on From File.

6. Browse for where you have saved your census image to, and double click the census. It should now be pasted into your word document.

7. Now for the fun stuff - In Word's View menu, click toolbars and make sure you have a tick next to the Picture toolbar. Now if you click on your census image, a picture editing toolbar will appear.

8. Click on the census image, then click on the Crop button (on the new toolbar). When your cursor is over the census image, the crop icon will appear and you must position it over each edge of the image click and hold it down and drag the symbol (which changes to a T shape) into the image to cut of the census' black edges.

9. IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE DON'T PANIC! Simply click control z on your keyboard to undo it. Your original census image will be unchanged, it is only the one in Word which you are working on in any case.

10. If you want to enlarge the census image after you have cropped off the black edges, click on the crop tool to close it. Then click on the census image and drag one of the corners out - a diagonal arrow will show. and it changes to a cross when you drag it.

11. Save it and print it!

Hope this helps anyone with no photo editing software but who has Microsoft Word. I don't know about other text editing programs but I suspect they may have similar features.