Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone have any ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 16 Nov 2008 18:06

Hi everyone.

I'm doing an art project on my family and ancestry, and as part of it I am collecting a photograph of all my relatives. I'm going to try to go as far back as I possibly can, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could obtain photographs of family members from over 100 years back. I have managed to collect family photographs etc, but was wondering if anyone could think of where I should be looking.

Thanks guys and gals.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Nov 2008 18:33

well all the ones I have of my family going back well over a hundred years have come from within the family =- have you been around all your relatives?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 16 Nov 2008 18:38

I've googled variations of words...example "surname, occupation, place of birth, year born, spouse's name", etc.

One of the times I googled, I found a passage written about the ancestor that included a drawing of him! I don't remember the date, but I believe he was born 1771.

Don't give up on family members. Continue to ask. I've researched for quite a long time and just a few years ago my aunt visited and brought with her quite a few family photos, including one she obtained from her cousin...it was taken c1871 and was of my brickwall ancestor!

James

James Report 16 Nov 2008 18:42

Yes, I have begun asking relatives, from which I have managed to pretty much solidly go back about 3 generations... I will see how it goes. Thanks for your advice.

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 16 Nov 2008 19:17

Newspapers - ask at the local newspaper offices and library, they might have articles about your families weddings. If you have the dates very often the papers can be viewed.
Trade directories often included adverts, I am lucky that my ancestors spent a bit of money on advertising and I have an handfull from the 1800's
Failing anything else you might have to settle for a photo of a place where they lived or the church where they were baptised.
good luck

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 16 Nov 2008 19:20

James--keep asking family members for details of photographs,where they went-who's got them?
I've just discovered that my 1st cousin has a whole stack of old family photos in her attic that she is not at all interested in --can't wait to get my hands on them!

Charles

Charles Report 16 Nov 2008 19:44

And when you do get photos, make sure you scan them (and keep a backup).

James

James Report 16 Nov 2008 22:52

brilliant,thank you everyone for your advice

x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Nov 2008 22:55

there is a local website on my village and there are family in some of the photographs on there

juma

juma Report 17 Nov 2008 08:27

If the family tended to stay in the same town/village look to see if there is a family history group there. If there is they are a mine of info as they usually have a collection of old pics that people loan them to copy. Also some members of these type of groups write books relating to the place and include pics. Also go to the relevant County Records Office . Some CRO's have an on line search catalogue where you can input family names and some have photos donated.