Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to transfer info to my tree from someone elses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 17 Nov 2008 01:04

I am fairly new to this and was wondering how to put info given to me by other people who have done their tree onto my tree, in other words how to transfer info.Bearing in mind some of this info is quite alot. Is it possible to print out their completed trees?I did try printing , but it only printed out a small bit.I don't know how to use the clipboard.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Nov 2008 02:54

There doesnt seem to be a way of printing but you could ask them for a GEDCOM which should transfer onto your tree.

Huia

Huia Report 17 Nov 2008 07:53

Other people seem to have copied everything from my tree, even lines which are not really of interest to them (I would have thought), and I didnt send them a gedcom. I dont know how they did it though. Perhaps I should try some time. But then I dont want every Tom Dick and Harry who is only related through a marriage of a marriage of a marriage of a 3rd cousin 6 times removed who married a 29th cousin of a 4th cousin 7 times removed, or some such thing.
Huia.

Heather

Heather Report 17 Nov 2008 08:37

You can only access people's trees if they give you permission and some folks have done that for me. I have copied only the relevant parts of their tree manually.
Some people do seem to have a lot of other people's trees and one person (who I can't over-complain about as I've had a lot of help from them too) has great swathes of mine and I can't see the connections at all. Since one part of it is completely the worng branch anyway, I don't complain.

Dawn

Dawn Report 17 Nov 2008 22:15

Thank you to everyone who has responded to me-very kind of you to take the time.I am only copying info that I have been given permission to copy and of course only relevent info. Thank you Mick for explaining how to use the clip boards-I will give that a go.