Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Black Sheep.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 17 Nov 2008 22:47

Has anyone on these boards ever ordered anything from the Black Sheep index and,if so, did they get good results? Have found something on my great great grandfather and wondering if you get value for money...

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 17 Nov 2008 23:35

Never heard if it!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Nov 2008 00:06

I once considered getting some reports from them when I found who I thought was my gt-grandfather in the Black Sheep Index. I emailed the chap who ran the site and he wouldn't take credit card - only cash(!) or UK sterling cheque (I am in Australia and also will not send cash through the mail). Also at £5 a time it seemed a bit expensive considering there was very little info in the index to enable me to determine if it was my man or not, and as there were a dozen entries in the index (all the same name and date) I couldn't really see how to specify which one I wanted (certainly wasn't going to buy all 12!). In the end I didn't bother - but then when the OldBaileyOnline website extended their coverage to the 1900's I actually found the name on there, for free (turns out it wasn't my ggf after all) - so saved myself £££. Incidentally I found the same event in the Times Online - which was also free at the time, though I believe is pay-per-view now (still cheaper than £5 a time though!).

Moral of the story - check the online resources first, you may get the same info for free! Failing that, you might get lucky or you might end up spending £££ for irrevelant reports from the BSI.

Lynn

Lynn Report 18 Nov 2008 11:46

Thanks Richard,
I have sent off for the info (by cheque) as there is only one man with the same details of that name that could be my gg grandfather. Some of it might explain the things that happened to his family.. Fingers crossed.

Mrs. Bucket,
You should take a look. www.blacksheepindex.co.uk
All sorts of info on there. Lynn

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 18 Nov 2008 12:02

Yes, I have ordered from that site several times and on all occasions have been pleasantly surprised by the articles that I recieved back.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the person found on the Black Sheep Index is actually the "black sheep" so to speak - just that their name appears in a newspaper article.

For example, I have found the newspaper report covering the stabbing in the back of one of my teenage ancestors (he survived), which was intriguing to say the least - he was the innocent party and set upon by a gang of lads in his street.

Another was of an ancestor who'd had one too many drinks, got into a brawl with someone and spent the night in jail!

Obviously, some articles are longer than others - you just don't know until it arrives what it's about or how long it will be. I've had anything from a few lines to several paragraphs of coverage.

Yes, I would definitely recommend the website as any extra tit-bit of information about our ancestors, no matter how small, helps to build up a better picture of their lives.

Regards - Athena

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 18 Nov 2008 12:23

I can also recommend the Black Sheep Index, I have received excellent service on more than on occasion.

Jennifer

Julie

Julie Report 18 Nov 2008 12:31

How comes when i pasted that site i ended up at the brewery lol

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Nov 2008 21:51

Yes sorry folks, I forgot to put index in the address. Have amended it and by the way, I love beer!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Nov 2008 22:12

I found my great grandfather's death on the Black Sheep Index in the Railways section, but to be honest I thought the £5 I paid at the time (a few years ago) was a bit steep for a single page with not much detail on it.

I found the newspaper article I found about his death and inquest much better value with more information for just 50p for a photocopy from the library.

Kath. x