Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do i change email image JPEG to PDF Format Hel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kidsnpets

kidsnpets Report 19 Nov 2008 15:02

Hi
can someone please tell me how i change an image that is in JPEG format to PDF format.
I am trying to send birth certificate to someone, but they said it is to large for them to handle, and asked if i can send it as a PDF.

I dont know where to start, dont know what it means!

any help would be great.

many thanks
Bev

Irene

Irene Report 19 Nov 2008 15:33

Can you scan your copy of the birth certificate to open in your pictures file. If so that is easier to send by email. You just attach the picture to the email. Irene

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 19 Nov 2008 15:45

I do the other way round in paint but dont think you can do that way ;;

Babs

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 19 Nov 2008 15:49

You can make the jpeg image smaller by resizing in a photo programme.

When I scan a document I have the option to save it in PDF format, maybe your scanner also has that and you could rescan it.

Christine

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 19 Nov 2008 16:02

Hi Bev,

How many kilobytes or Megabytes is your jpg? Mine are genearlly around 200 to 300k, though someone once emailed me a birth certificate scan which was 15 megabytes - eeek!

If yours is huge then, as Christine says. you can resize it in a photo program.

I'm wondering whether it could simply have been scanned at too high a resolution in the first place? In your photo program check the image size and adjust the dimensions down so the dpi is no more than 150. If it is a good legible image you can even cut it down to 75 dpi. 20cm wide is a reasonable size too.

Personally I'd prefer to get certificate images as a jpg as it is frustrating waiting for acrobat reader to open if the computer is on a go slow!

kidsnpets

kidsnpets Report 19 Nov 2008 17:08

Hi i did scan and attach it by email automatically saves as JPEG, not had a problem before.
cant seem to change it to PDF,
somehow have changed it to bmp format, dont know if that is better or not dont know what all these intials mean?
i am self taught on the pc, so not really sure what all this means,not that technically minded!

RobG

RobG Report 19 Nov 2008 18:10

Generally speaking, a BMP file will be a much larger file than the equivelent JPG.
If the JPG is too big it just needs resizing, as others have described.
Personally, I scan to a big resolution - makes it easier looking at the dodgy writing on old certs (esp. the GRO copies!!) - then downsize them if I need to mail them.

Judy

Judy Report 19 Nov 2008 18:48

Bev:

The ,jpg size can be resized. If you'd like send it to me and I can resize and send it back to you. PM through Genes and I'll send you my e-mail address if you're interested.

Judy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Nov 2008 19:55

Judy, if the file is too big to send then it ain't going to get to you.

Judy

Judy Report 19 Nov 2008 19:58

Bilbo
My email account takes extremely large files. Large files don't seem to be a problem.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 19 Nov 2008 20:04

I understood Bev to mean that the person she was sending it to couldn't handle a large size not that it was too big to send.

Christine

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 19 Nov 2008 21:55

If you don't want to download a programme, try pdfonline.com where you upload a file (jpeg is supported) and have the pdf e-mailed to you in a few minutes.

If you work on an Apple Mac a lot of documents can easily be exported as a pdf.

~~~ Hi Christine in Portugal - I seem to be following you around recently!

Judy

Judy Report 20 Nov 2008 01:55

Bev:

Success with resizing and on way back to you!

Judy

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 20 Nov 2008 18:20

I also sent them late last night, did you receive them Bev?

Christine