Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SERGEANT ALBERT THOMAS LESTER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 20 Nov 2008 19:19

MY UNCLE ALBERT THOMAS LESTER DIED IN JANUARY 1944 AGED 19. HE WAS A REAR GUNNER ON A HALIFAX BOMBER RETURNING FROM GERMANY WHEN THE PLANE CAME DOWN OFF FLAMBOROUGH HEAD. HIS BODY WAS NEVER RECOVERED . HIS NAME IS ON THE RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL BUT DOES ANYONE K NOW WHETHER THERE WOULD BE A DEATH CERTIFICATE FOR HIM AND IF SO WHERE WOULD HIS DEATH BE REGISTERED?

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Nov 2008 19:48

Hi

There isn't a death reference in the indexes,

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 20 Nov 2008 19:54

someone on this site found my ref on findmypast
war deaths
gave me the ref number for gro
her name was Alison - will see if I can get the piece from my threads

Christine

Hazel

Hazel Report 20 Nov 2008 19:54

HI
THANKS FOR LOOKING

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 20 Nov 2008 19:57

Military death reference numbers can be found on the Findmypast website (which is pay per view).

The most likely cause of death on these certificates is simply "killed in action".

here it is -
Christine

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 20 Nov 2008 19:58

I will nudge this up because this question has been raised fairly recently, and someone has the answer which i cannot remember what it is and i cant find it
Although i do know you can obtain a certificate but it will only state "killed in action"

Someone who knows will answer i am sure

EDIT answered whilst i was writing

George

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 20 Nov 2008 22:41

CWWG site

Name: LESTER, ALBERT THOMAS
Initials: A T
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 578 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 22/01/1944
Service No: 1893217
Additional information: Son of Richard and Georgina Lester, of Long Whatton Leicestershire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 233.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Hazel

Hazel Report 20 Nov 2008 22:44

THANKS TO CHRISTINE AND GEORGE FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION
REGARDS
HAZEL

Hazel

Hazel Report 20 Nov 2008 23:03

THANK YOU LINDA FOR YOUR INFORMATION
REGARDS
HAZEL

Hazel

Hazel Report 21 Nov 2008 09:25

HI BARRY
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND YOUR EXPERIENCES I THINK I WILL TAKE THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO ME ON THIS PAGE AND LEAVE IT AT THAT.
REGARDS
HAZEL

William

William Report 21 Nov 2008 13:18

Hi
Can I suggest that you try the website of the War Graves Commission. I got details from them of my Uncle killed in 1946 including details and pictures of where he was buried in France. They also had his details on a memorial site including the actual date of death. I then obtained his death certificate from this.
Bill

Hazel

Hazel Report 21 Nov 2008 14:34

HI BILL
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION
HAZEL