Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chelsea Pensioner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JBG

JBG Report 21 Nov 2008 12:21

Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to what is a Chelsea Pensioner? I have a Thomas Gauder who's occupation is a chelsea pensioner and also are there records for these people?

Many thanks
JG

Dianne

Dianne Report 21 Nov 2008 12:25

Sorry I can't help you JG but if you don't mind I am going to keep an eye on this thread as I have just been told my Great Grandad wad a Chelsea Pensioner too.

Dianne xx

RobG

RobG Report 21 Nov 2008 12:26

This should explain things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner

Dianne

Dianne Report 21 Nov 2008 12:35

Thanks Rob

Dianne xx

Julie

Julie Report 21 Nov 2008 12:44

I used to love chatting to the Chelsea Pensioners when i worked down the Kings Rd

JBG

JBG Report 21 Nov 2008 12:56

Thanks Rob. I will look at the website.
JBG

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 21 Nov 2008 14:38

Yes, I was at the Royal Hospital a few weeks ago as my boyfriend was doing a gig there for them (performing 60s music). I got chatting to a few of them and they told me that you don't have to actually be of retirement age to be a Chelsea Pensioner - just so long as you're in receipt of full army pension (whether that be through having served a full service record or being pensioned off early due to illness etc).

Here's their website:

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/home

Regards

Athena

JBG

JBG Report 21 Nov 2008 14:45

Thanks Athena that is making sense. My ancester Thomas Gauder (or Gander) was b1840 and for some reason got married in Dublin. He was missing in the 1851 and 1861 censuses and back in Bham in 1871 (a chelsea pensioner) and he died early aged 34. So I thought it was peculiar that he was cited a pensioner!
Many thanks Jayne