Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding living relative

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 22 Nov 2008 18:09

hi
has anyone got any tips for coming forward in a search to find living relatives. i am relying on an answer from GR members. i am very new to this and i am now stuck!!!!!!!!!

daddymuzza

daddymuzza Report 22 Nov 2008 18:39

Try www.facebook.com or www.192.com
although knowing what area to look in is a big help

Ann

Ann Report 22 Nov 2008 21:10

I found my cousin on Tracesmart, you have to buy credits but was really worth it. I was given her address and telephone number as well.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Nov 2008 21:01

The BBC's "Who Do You Think You Are" did some forward research for Jim Muir (Vic Reeves, for the uninitiated)

They did say at the time that it was extremely difficult, time consuming and had no guarantee of success.

A lot will depend on the amount of information you have already, how common the name is and whether you can pin down to a narrow location, etc,

What is your start point and who are you hoping to trace?

Sally

Sally Report 23 Nov 2008 21:56

hello i was in the same fosition i put a post onhere giving the name and some named brian very kindly found ther addres and phone no although they took a long time getting back to me it worked i had been searching for months
sally

June

June Report 24 Nov 2008 03:08

I am trying to find my father John Briars who lives in Rishton, Blackburn. I used the sites mentioned in other posts but he has ticked the box on his Electrol Roll form to say that he doesn't want his address made public so the only way that I can find him is by trawling through the roll at the town hall, a bit difficult when I live in NZ!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 24 Nov 2008 08:24

Prior to 2003 there was no choice of opting out of the electoral role. If you put a thread on the records office board asking for a 2003 look up someone may be able to help. There is a chance he hasn't moved in that time.
Good luck.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Nov 2008 12:13

are you not sure this is him from the 192.com website. you have to puchase units to view the info tho

Electoral Roll 2002 - 2007 Sign in or register and get credits to view full details
Full Details JOHN G BRIARS XX XXXXX XXXXXXXX RISHTON BLACKBURN XXX XXX
other occupants KATHLEEN W BRIARS, STUART T GLENDINNING, KATHRYN GLENDINNING, KATHRYN O'HARE

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 25 Nov 2008 06:01

Have p/m'd June direct re her search.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Dec 2008 11:23

Hi June. I have sent you an address.

June

June Report 30 Jan 2011 22:36

Thanks for all the above. The address from the Electoral Roll 2002-2007 is an old one. He has moved although I understand that he has not gone far.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 31 Jan 2011 01:00

The roll at the Town Hall won't have him on if he has ticked the box. The only people who will have him are those who pay for access to the electoral roll, such as commercial companies and political parties. I'm not even sure if I am right with these either.

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 31 Jan 2011 15:34

Have you tried putting a "trying to find ad" in th local paper... You never know ... someone may come up with something, or maybe tell him you are looking..