Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PAF Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 25 Nov 2008 20:30

Hi Everyone

I've just downloaded the PAF software from family search and it's doing my head in already!

I've got loads of details that aren't anyone in my tree, I don't know how to get rid of them or how to put mine in. The user guise isn't loading and I;m tearing my hair out

PLEASE HELP!

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 25 Nov 2008 21:17

I downloaded it and exported a gedcom fron GR without any problem so I'm sorry you have had difficulties. I can only suggest deleting it all and starting agin. It would take ages to check and correct it all I imagine. I am going to have another quick look but I think mine is ok. Hope you sort it.

Sue

Sue Report 25 Nov 2008 21:17

Hello Natasha

I also downloaded that programme but ended up binning it cos I couldn't get on with it.

I found it was not compatible with other data I use, - gedcom and ftm.

If you figure out how to make it useful let me know please.

Sue

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 25 Nov 2008 21:49

I think I might just give up with it for now.

I don't really understand how it works, and how to import a GEDCOM or even what a GEDCOM is.

It said it was scanning for files and then the next minute I've gt half of dora jackson's tree everywhere. I don't know who that is or where her data came from, or even how I delete it and input my own!

****Wizzardess from Oz****

****Wizzardess from Oz**** Report 26 Nov 2008 00:09

Hi Natasha,

that all seems very odd, I don't think I can help with the Jackson file but would leave it there and create another file for your tree

I have been using Paf5 for 12 months,

Gedcoms are family tree files that can be imported or exported from different programs not always sucsessfully as the y can over write your tree, dont add to your tree create another file for them where you can veiw them.

If paf did a scan/search, I would think it had found the info on your computer - if at sometime someone sent you a gedcom this is possible,

You can create several files (trees) - I am no expert but if you

open the program
go to FILE (in top left hand corner)
click NEW - it comes up in MY DOCUMENTS

AT THE BOTTOM ASKED FOR A NEW NAME
(I CALL MINE FAMILY HISTORY 1 OR 2,OR 3, ETC.)

Type in the new name that you want -click OK

It then goes to another screen asking for name and e-mail address etc. - type anything you want doesnt have to be your real name or address.

press OK and you have a new clean file

GOOD LUCK .................Lois

PS is you go back to FILE in the top left hand corner and click on open it will show all the family history files you have.

If you have any problem with this click on my name at the top of the page and send a PM to me, I will try and help you if I can.

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 26 Nov 2008 11:48

Thanks for that I'll have a look at it when I get home. I wasn't aware that anyone had sent me any files, so I;m not entirely sure how it's ended up on there but nevermind!

I downloaded two things from family search, the PAF and the companion builder thing as well, so what I might do is uninstall them and start again without scanning for the files so I get a blank canvas to work from!

One thing I would like to ask is around the printing of family trees on it. I downloaded my heritage and the software is brilliant but for some reason it won't show any siblings it will only show direct relatives. Will I be able to print a full tree using PAF?