Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Death Record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 1 Dec 2008 19:14

I have found what i think to be a member of my family in CWGC lists, but there is only an initial. Could someone please direct me to where I might get the first name.

The person in question is

J Halliday
Private
West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)
1st/th Bn.

Service No. 3562

date of death 22.10.1916

Any help to point me in the right direction or to do a look-up
would be gratefully received.

Irene

Irene

Irene Report 1 Dec 2008 19:23

Thanks a lot David

Could you please tell me where you got this. Also do you know what "theatre of war" means.

Irene

Irene

Irene Report 1 Dec 2008 19:30

That bit puzzles me because it says in CWGC listing that he is buried in Foncquevillers Military Cemetry!!! but thanks for the info anyway.

Irene

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 1 Dec 2008 19:32

Aldershot as theatre of war crops up a lot in the Ancestry SDGW database. In most cases, I think it's wrong!

Irene

Irene Report 1 Dec 2008 19:33

Thanks for that info which what out for that in future.

Irene

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Dec 2008 19:44

Irene
Most likely it would be one of the battles of the Somme
This is his record from the war graves photographic site,

Cemetery: Foncquevillers Military Cemetery

Area: Pas De Calais

Official Number: 3562

Unit: 1st/6th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own).

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:
22nd October 1916. Age 18. Son of William and Mary Louisa Halliday of 19 Constance St. Saltaire Yorks. I. K. 19.

They have a photo of his headstone which is obtainable from the site , but it does cost £3-00 by email or a fiver if you want a hard copy.

Here is the link to the site, it is run entirely by volunteers,in conjunction with CWGC

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=436081

George

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Dec 2008 19:49

Irene
here is alink to the battles of WW1

So you can check dates when battles took place

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/wf.htm

George

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Dec 2008 20:02

Just a bit of info and a picture of the Cemetery where he lies.

http://ww1cemeteries.com/ww1frenchcemeteries/foncquevillers.htm

george

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 1 Dec 2008 22:45

All theatres of war mentioned on Ancestry have been transcribed wrongly - surprise, surprise!!!!

If you really want to know how your relative died in WWI go to the Long Long Trail website (Google for it) and look up what was happening at that time. For even more information join the Great War Forum (again, Google for it) and ask the relevant questions.

As for paying £3 or £5 for a photo of his headstone, if you ask on the Great War Forum I'm willing to bet someone on there has the photo already and will post it on the forum and/or email it to you for free.

I have been to Foncquvillers and it's a very nice little cemetery. I don't have a photo of his headstone, but I do have one of a general view of the cemetery.

If you go on the CWGC site and key in for his details, when the page opens up if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can on cemetery details they will also have a photo there of the cemetery, you can copy it off there. It will also tell you how the cemetery was formed.