Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find somone in navy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 2 Dec 2008 00:25

Hi, i have today recieved a huge pile of records in regards to my late fathers time spent in the care of the childrens society and on one of the papers from 1954 his father is named as "Alan Radford" aged 21 and in the navy....thsi is all i have to go on....Can anyone provide me any clues as to where i can dig up naval lists or anything like that??...
Yours,
Alison..x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Dec 2008 00:56

Was your Fathers Surname 'Radford' too?

Do you have your Fathers birth cert?

Was Alan Radford Married to his Mother?

Does this mean Alan Radford was born 1933?

Which Country and County?....ish!

England? Scotland? Ireland? Wales? USA/Canada? Australia??...other?

Alison

Alison Report 2 Dec 2008 08:04

hi,

sorry i really should have explained more...as i said above - they are the only details i have of my fathers father. I dont personally know any of my fathers side of the family as nobody apart from 1 person knew he existed and they didnt know who the father was, all they knew was that he was a sailor in the navy. The records i have recieved just tell me his name & age and occupation. my fathers name wasnt Radford - he has his mums maiden name and i am presumng he was born around 1933 as there is a question mark against his age. My dads mum was from Ramsgate in kent and dissapeared when my dad was 11mths old thats why he was in care....dont know if this is where Alan Radford came from also but being in the navy his ship could have been docked there.
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide...
Alison.xx

Sam

Sam Report 2 Dec 2008 09:26

Military records from that era are not searchable unfortunately, you usually have to send off for them (and pay £30). The Navy is different though:

"Prior to 1972 all RN personnel were given their service record when they discharged. For pension purposes the RN retained pay details. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 are their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases"

Sam x

Alison

Alison Report 2 Dec 2008 12:18

hi sam,
thanks for the info - where would i be able to contact someone about the RN records?

yours,

alison

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Dec 2008 13:47

Royal Navy - Ratings from 1923:

Other
Ministry of Defence These records are still kept by the Ministry of Defence who will release information to the seaman, or to a next of kin, for a fee. Details can be found on the Ministry of Defence's website at http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html
how about trying this
vivienne

Alison

Alison Report 2 Dec 2008 17:19

hi vivienne,

thx for that i will give it a try!...
alison...xx