Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clanfergale

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 2 Dec 2008 14:56

My family has always believed that my great great grandfather (who came to South Africa during the Napoleonic Wars) was from Wales,but I have discovered that his grandson had the middle name of Clanfergale. This sounds Scottish to me. Can anyone please tell me if there is a place by this name,after which he might have been named.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Dec 2008 15:43

I googled for it - nothing came up, sorry

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Dec 2008 15:44

Just googled again with the words separated - Clan Fergale - seems it could well be Irish - there is a lot of stuff on Fergale with an Irish connection

Libby

Libby Report 2 Dec 2008 16:17

Llanfair is pronounced Clanver is Welsh (I think) and gael as gale. Can not find anything for Llanfairgael though.

Perhaps some Welsh speakers may be able to help because my Welsh is awful and have to rely on my 14 year old daughter.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Dec 2008 16:19

Hi there Libby - I'm Welsh and can see no Welsh connection - I am sure after googling that it is in fact Irish - thinking Fergal here as well

I'm not a Welsh speaker by the way but do have a feel for the language!!!

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 2 Dec 2008 17:54

I think Ann is right, it is Irish. If you google Clan Fergal it brings up a Wikipedia extract about the Sieges of Galway.

Alistair

Alistair Report 2 Dec 2008 19:11

It would be very unusual for a clan member to include the word "clan" as part of their name (notable exception being Clanranald).

Alistair

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 2 Dec 2008 19:28

There's Llanfigael in Anglesey. Genuki gives Llanfugail as a former alternative spelling.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 3 Dec 2008 17:16

Thank you all for your help. I shall follow up on your suggestions and let you know if I find anything.