Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Manchester census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 3 Dec 2008 13:07

re 1851 census for manchester - a lot of pages were water damaged and unreadable by the filming tecquniques at the time. 80 of lost records for Manchester itself plus areas of Chorlton, Salford, Oldham & Ashton-under-Lyne have now been transcribed. A free name index is at www.1851-unfilmed.org.uk with astreet index in progress. Results give name, district & street with aref no to enable people to order full details on CD if required.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 3 Dec 2008 14:41

Thank you lancashire ann, maybe some of my brickwalls will fall.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 8 Dec 2008 14:13

n

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2008 04:01

n

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 23 Jan 2009 11:13

I thought it was worth bringing this thread back up to the top again as the transcripts of rescued records are now available on www.familyhistoryonline.net
You have to pay, but if you use the free search facility on
www.1851-unfilmed.org.uk/1851search.htm
first of all, you can establish whether the people you are looking for are there, and narrow down which records you need from Family History Online. And the charge is a jolly sight cheaper than for the 1911 census!

I just found a whole raft of missing relatives, including children I previously had no knowledge of, and an 11 year old staying with a family with her grandmother's maiden name. Yeah - now that's what I call a result! (Unfortunately, they have not stated the exact relationship, just described her as "relative". Still, we never expected this to be easy, now did we!)

Tina