Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Help!! What is a Valid Bitmark File

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Dec 2008 15:34

I keep trying to open something and the above message comes up, what is a Valid Bitmark File?

I am on Windows Vista.

Betty

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Dec 2008 16:06

pass - sorry!!!!!

RobG

RobG Report 5 Dec 2008 16:44

Sure you don't mean BitMAP ?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Dec 2008 16:52

Thanks anyway Ann

David and Rob,

All I know is I received an e-mail and tried to open the attachment and this message came up.
I keep trying to open something and the above message comes up, what is a Valid Bitmark File? Sorry it may have been Bitmap not sure. This has happened a lot but I don't know what it means.

Betty

RobG

RobG Report 5 Dec 2008 17:16

Betty,

A bitmap is a type of graphics file. Maybe a photo or some other kind of picture. Your computer is just saying that this bitmap doesn't contain the pieces of information it needs to translate it in to something visual you can see. It could be that it has got corrupted (mangled) en-route, it could be that it a slightly different "flavour" of bitmap that your PC isn't equiped to decipher, or it could be that sometimes e-mails come with "flowery bits" to make them pretty, but your mail program doesn't like these flowery bits.
Whatever, I would recommend you contact the person who sent it to you to see if they were actually trying to send something important. If it is important, suggest they send it as a JPG (another variety of graphics file) which you should be OK with.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Dec 2008 17:58

Hi RobG,

Thanks for the information I will as you say ask the person who sent the e-mail to me.

I have had this several times now and just couldn't understand what the problem was.

Thanks again Betty