Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Tree Access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Dec 2008 13:18

I am finding this new set up VERY challenging!

When I open my Family Tree it takes up the whole veiwing area,
I cannot access the "search" button and there is no way of accessing anything below (if there is anything there!) to add to the tree etc

There are no arrows to move anything along-up-down etc

Is this how it should be-if so it is useless!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Dec 2008 14:30

I only ever use Immediate Family view. Full View is not much use for anything other than very small trees.

Try pressing F11, which will give give you a much bigger screen to play with. F11 again to get you menu bars back. Hiding toolbars which you rarely use will also give you more space.

The search button is the purple one on the right, not the Title box next to the Hot Match tab

Muriel

Muriel Report 10 Dec 2008 15:07

Hi Elizabeth
I am also having the same problems.
I note someone replied to you and said the purple button was for search. The button next to hot matches.
Well I don't have any button after the hot match button.
I use the search button a lot & am finding this new setup very hard to cope with. I'm also finding the setup hard to put info into.I can no longer see any of the info I already have, except for about 1inch at the bottom of the screen. The same goes when I'm viewing others trees. This is taking all the enjoyment out of what used to be a very happy hobby. I'm seriously thinking of moving my tree to another site that doesn't keeping adding silly things like fancy photo frames that arn't needed & silly adds for cilit bang, if I wanted adds I'd watch the TV instead.
regards Muriel

Mary

Mary Report 10 Dec 2008 16:34

I have just looked at my tree and it seems to be mostly the same. I expect I will get used to it, but it's the boards (meaning you lovely people) that I stick with Genes for, without that I would just have Ancestry.

Bernard

Bernard Report 10 Dec 2008 20:26

I did not pay my sub to look at adverts

Carol

Carol Report 10 Dec 2008 21:16

The new look is tacky and unprofessional.
Change for the sake of it.
Why do it?
Have members asked for it?
I hate these moving adverts up the side of the page.Wish I knew how to get rid.

Susan

Susan Report 10 Dec 2008 21:36

I couldn't agree more - I've only just seen the changes and find the ads very distracting. I've tried to add some people to my tree, they went in the wrong place and now apparently I'm unable to remove them without asking GR to do it! This is just ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I also can't find a clear list of the other trees I have access to, which used to be clearly shown on the first page. Why change what's not broken?!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 10 Dec 2008 22:16

Theyve probably changed it to benefit their advertisers rather than us!

Wing

Wing Report 10 Dec 2008 22:39

I am sorry I continued my subscription. The site is terrible and to think I use to reccomend Genesreunited to one and all-not likely to happen again

Louise

Louise Report 10 Dec 2008 23:46

Hi I also agree with everyone. I've found some matches in other trees, yet can't open my tree and someone elses at the same time. This is useless as I can't see the matches in both trees. HELP!!!