Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How can I enlarge the information view?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 11 Dec 2008 11:22

The new GR tree has reduced the information section to a thin strip at the bottom of the screen. Obviously viewing the photos on site is scuppered - though there are ways around that.

Is there a way of reducing the size of the top of the tree screen ? I really don't need to have my name in HUGE letters taking up a disproportionate area. I know my name alrady thanks, but I WOULD love to be able to view the reason for my tree - namely the data itself - birth, baptism, marriage and death, etc - without having to scroll down endlessly.

I have tried copying and pasting the info section into an email so I could see it at a glance but this is ridiculously time consuming.

****Wizzardess from Oz****

****Wizzardess from Oz**** Report 11 Dec 2008 11:58

I'm with you Tracey, I have 2/3rd's of my tree and only 1/3 for information that need to scroll through, and my name up in lights so to speak taking up lots of room, like you say I know who I am
..............Lois

Blue1

Blue1 Report 11 Dec 2008 12:03

I've sent three e-mails to GR already this morning.
I can't view my pics,my screen is shuddering when i scroll and the info section at the bottom is useless.it's too small
Altogether a waste of time,and I'm now looking for a similar site to subscribe to instead of this one
I've also blocked images from GR to make the shuddering less annoying.I wish i could block the video advertising as well!
Cathie

Blue1

Blue1 Report 11 Dec 2008 12:26

Thanks MGHS,
I will!
I think my computer just can't handle all this advertising junk,and I'm not getting a new one just for GR

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 11 Dec 2008 12:43

It has only just dawned on me why the tree is so cramped.

The previous GR tree would open on its very own page and without the IE browser bars, etc.

The new GR tree page is opening INSIDE the page - hence the loss of up to one fifth of the screen from that alone. The oversized GR logo pushes the tree down a further 5th of the screen. NO WONDER it's a mess!

GR needs to write in an extra piece of code to force the tree to open in the same way it did previously.

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 11 Dec 2008 12:55

Tracey brown
To get a full screen while viewing your tree press F11 on your key board, this will remove the tool bar.
Press F11 again to view tool bar.

richard.

LD

LD Report 11 Dec 2008 16:27

If more people used the Firefox browser then they wouldn't have to put up with the adverts and eventually GR would get the message. (I have already advised ITV that I am blocking the Ads on this site, less viewers, less revenue !)

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 11 Dec 2008 23:08

Thank you Preston. It works a treat!

Ann

Ann Report 11 Dec 2008 23:25

Thank you for that tip Richard

Ann

****Wizzardess from Oz****

****Wizzardess from Oz**** Report 12 Dec 2008 05:19

Ho yes F11 does change things thank you for that little bit of info Richard

I think the print and colour has improved today yesterday I had to use 125% to read the threads

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 12 Dec 2008 09:41

David, you are correct. We live in a world where greed constantly conquers common sense. One only has to observe the state of the global economy at present.

Hobbies and interests traditionally provide a means for people to gather their wits and stay sane. I know genealogy is very important to many of us as, far from being a solitary pursuit, it opens up all manner of connections, collaborations, and even reunions! I think that is why, when a site like GR suddenly becomes so user unfriendly - effectively throwing the baby out with the bathwater - people get so upset. It is very stressful to find that something which you relied on yesterday is now unusable for you and probably will be for the foreseable future. Another one of life's pleasures gone!

Change is fine if it improves the use of the site or makes it more accessible to its users. Unfortunately, GR's latest changes are quite bizarre in that they have destroyed the functionality of the site and rendered it inaccessible for a significant proportion of its users.

If displaying adverts must take precedence over the genealogical content, why can't they shove all the ads on one page and leave the real content alone? Users would only be able to access the site through opening this page and once inside would be spared all the advertising crap flashing away and taking over the screen space. A sort of get-it-over-an-done-with sort of thing?

jean,300171

jean,300171 Report 13 Dec 2008 15:22

Tracey, what a wonderful suggestion!!!!
would enable many to avoid epileptic instances, I am sure

Bob

(on OH's) machine.