Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scrolling problem since the changes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 13 Dec 2008 09:56

Is any one else having probs,scrolling up and down.
My pages on GR are shuddering and i can't fix it.
I've updated my browser as GR suggests but it's still the same
Cathie

LD

LD Report 13 Dec 2008 10:02

Yes I sometimes have same problem. Also I find when I navigate around a tree it is very juddery indeed !

Blue1

Blue1 Report 13 Dec 2008 10:05

I've been sending e-mails to GR,since the changes but they,v been a bit stuck up about it.They say they have done loads of work insuring that the changes work with the various browsers,but won't tell me how to fix the Scrolling prob
Cathie

Blue1

Blue1 Report 13 Dec 2008 10:07

Hi LD,
i'v just noticed that it is worse at the top of the page,it seems to be smoother the further down i go.
Cathie

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 13 Dec 2008 13:30

Try one of the following to see if it helps

If you use Internet Explorer
Tools, internet options, advanced tab and in the list make sue use smooth scrolling is ticked

If you use Firefox
Tools, options,advanced tab and once again make sure use smooth scrolling is ticked

Linda

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 13 Dec 2008 15:20

Yep, scrolling problems here too. The worst issue is that to get to the tree info, you now lose the tree off the top of the page. I'm playing around trying to view the top of the tree in firefox and the bottom of the tree in IE, but with little success.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Dec 2008 15:25

I solved the jerky scrolling in Firefox by making the page larger so it fits the screen fully, with the minimum of dark margins on the left or right. Hold the Ctrl key down and move your scroll wheel till up or down till it fits.

If you have dark bands down either side, the sizing is too small and jerky scrolling comes back.

I have also tried changing the smooth scroll setting and prefer it with it turned Off...!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 13 Dec 2008 18:02

I have tried using Firefox and like losing the ads when I see it on there but after a while yesterday the juddering was making me feel a bit seasick!

I came back to viewing it through my usual AOL and that doesn't seem to judder.

The fact that so many of us are having similar problems, which we didn't have before the changes, does mean it's really not our fault.

I suppose the website designers have probably been planning this and working on it for some time but they really shouldn't get annoyed with us for pointing out that we as the users of the site are finding aspects harder to manage.

Sue

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 13 Dec 2008 21:59

What I find really puzzling is that it works OK on our desktop and on my husband's laptop but is jerky as h*** on my laptop. They're all running on the same version of Firefox with the same settings!
The wonders of IT.
Maureen R

angelas ashes

angelas ashes Report 14 Dec 2008 00:39

Yes ..it seems the minute you get past the Boards summary bit and then the add for Genes reunited bingo the scrolling becomes smoother..
I have just had update for IE7 and all of a sudden all my pages are `hanging`....I get.... `waiting for http` 1 page left... a full page never seems to load..
Plus this new set up is far too much for me..I have been on Genes for years and seen various changes in the layout but this beats me hands down..I honestly thought that someone had got into my system and the wallpaper effect when signing on is terrible..
But like I said ages ago..new people on the site dont know the old ways and set up so they learn and its us that become complacent that wonder what the hell is going on..

Blue1

Blue1 Report 18 Dec 2008 09:17

Hi,
have had a reply to my last mail about the jerky scroll that i sent GR and they say they will look into the problems in the new year.
has any one noticed the problem with adding a comment,i have to click reply at the top.
Cathie

Blue1

Blue1 Report 18 Dec 2008 09:18

Forgot to say,
I'm glad it's not just me.!
Cathie