Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificate help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 21 Dec 2008 21:17

On my grandfather's birth certificate (from 1911), his name is listed as Felix Juan Angus Aguirre, but the Aguirre has a line through it and looks as though it has been crossed out. Above that, there is a (2). I'm just wondering if anyone can advise why this might be the case?

I'm pretty sure that the surname is correct as both of his parents are listed as Aguirre too.

Edited to add: To the far right-hand side, there is what looks like a "Two" and the first two initials of the registrar.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Kate

Kate Report 21 Dec 2008 21:42

I think the numbered bit refers to a correction. By the sound of it, Aguirre is the surname of the child so doesn't need to be put in the name box because the surname is inferred from the parents' details, but the registrar could have put it on as a mistake, effectively saying the baby is called Felix Juan Angus Aguirre Aguirre.

I've seen the numbered thing on my 3xgreat grandma's death certificate - her name was written as "Susanah Hurst" but there is an arrow, an extra "n" added above with a 4 next to it, and in the end column it says "4, R.B." (the registrar was a Richard Blundell. I think he must have been saying he'd made a mistake writing it out and was correccting it to show he'd recognised the error.

Sally

Sally Report 21 Dec 2008 22:07

Hi Kate,

Thanks for that! That makes a lot more sense now.