Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 search tips. Please add yours

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 22 Dec 2008 12:45

While trying to find my great grandmother I stumbled across some entries which are indexed as Miss, Mrs and Mr. It's worth bearing in mind if your search draws a blank.

DavidM_UK

DavidM_UK Report 22 Dec 2008 14:26

Some census entries span several image pages (eg for instutions, factories) and if the name you searched for is not on the first image page you may not get the address (they used continuation forms for "long" census entries).

Rather than pay 30 credits each to look for the page which contains the address, just click on the view "transcript button" from the image page, then it only costs 10 credits to get the address.

I've emailed support requesting (strongly) that when viewing an image you ought to be able to then view the transcript for that entry without further cost. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe if others also request this change they might take more notice.