Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how to find death dates and buriels

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joysie4

joysie4 Report 29 Dec 2008 12:32

I have several deaths and buriels to trace i cant afford to buy all the certificates and wondered if anyone can help me please
Mcdowell
william b 1828 devon
william b 1873 devon
william henry b 1847 devon died 1897
john b 1815 devon died 1897

Sam

Sam Report 29 Dec 2008 12:35

Have you any idea when they first 2 died? Have you looked on FreeBMD for their deaths?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 29 Dec 2008 12:39

If you just put the nameWilliam McDowell into FreeBMD (no dates) and Devon as the county you will come up with some possibilities

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 29 Dec 2008 12:44

There is a site called Genogold which has parish registers on line for parts of Devon and Cornwall.
Liz

joysie4

joysie4 Report 29 Dec 2008 15:06

Sam
I have no idea when they died

Thank you all for the advice for b.m.d i will try this one

Joyce

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Dec 2008 16:47

If you have no idea when they died then I don't think there is an awful lot anyone can do to help you.

Have you traced them through the census returns? This is one way of pinning down when someone died, at least to within a ten year span. Then go to Free BMD for the period and see what you can find.

There is no magic answer, I'm afraid, just plenty of sleuthing and hard work.

You seem to have a couple of death years. Have you found the death cert as yet?