Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births and deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lilla

Lilla Report 1 Jan 2009 13:58

I am looking at a birth and a death for Alice Robinson b1870 and d1870 and also James Robinson b1868 and d1868. Is there any way I can check the parents before I order certificates as they are common names and could be quite expensive mistakes.
Diana

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Jan 2009 14:09

You could try looking for baptisms/burials - I know it depends on area etc but worth a try.

IGI might have some info.

If you think you know who the parents are do the dates tie in with any gaps in the other siblings?

Other trees - on here or Ancestry etc?

Jill

Alan

Alan Report 1 Jan 2009 14:24

Hi Lilla,....................where were they born?

Lilla

Lilla Report 1 Jan 2009 15:25

Jill in Tinsel town
Thanks for the info. I have had a look on IGI. James I think is a a relative as the parents are the correct names Isaac and Eliza Robinson and the dates tie in with a gap but Alice also seems a possibility although the parents are Isaac and Elizabeth(could be a transcribing error) but there is no record of deaths and neither child appears in the household in 1871 census.
Diana

Lilla

Lilla Report 1 Jan 2009 15:26

Ericthered
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if they would send the certs if the parents matched or not
Diana

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Jan 2009 15:27

Looks very likely then.

Eliza and Elizabeth do tend to be interchangeable - and IGI don't seem to show many deaths.

Might be worth seeing if anyone has parish registers for the area in question to see if they can find any burials.

Jill

Lilla

Lilla Report 1 Jan 2009 15:29

Alan
They were both born in Manchester I presume as the family lived in Manchester in 1861 and 1871 and siblings were born in between those years but they all appear in the census 1861 and 1871 but not James and Alice so I think if they are family they would have died but can't find any sure record of deaths.
Diana

Lilla

Lilla Report 1 Jan 2009 15:30

Jill
Yes I will try that thanks for your help
Diana

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jan 2009 21:34

Lilla

If they were born in Manchester, have you looked on

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

This site gives mother's maiden names earlier that you find on freebmd ............ not for all births, but for quite a number of them

sylvia

Lilla

Lilla Report 3 Jan 2009 16:39

Sylvia
Thanks . I have looked there but there are no details of the maiden name I am looking for but thanks for your help
Diana

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jan 2009 17:30

There is this birth in Manchester:-

Name: Alice Robinson
Year of Registration: 1870
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Manchester (1837-1924)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8d
Page: 146

and also this death:-

Name: Alice Robinson
Year of Registration: 1870
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Page: 146

Could be possibilities.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jan 2009 17:32

There is this birth in Manchester:-

Name: James Robinson
Year of Registration: 1868
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Page: 148

and also this death:-

Name: James Robinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Year of Registration: 1868
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 0
Page: 135

If ordering the certificates make sure you use the reference checking page for the parent's names (don't put them on the first page with the details of the child) otherwise the GRO staff will not use them.

Kath. x

Lilla

Lilla Report 6 Jan 2009 14:58

Thanks Kath
Thats really good to find that. There has always been a break of 7 years in the birth of the children in the Robinson family and now I know why. I'll check out the certs now.
Thanks for your help
Diana