Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some questions about bigamy and prison records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 5 Jan 2009 18:21

I was excited to find that I have a convicted bigamist in my tree. He was imprisoned for 3 months at the Old bailey in 1865.
The noted from the Old Bailey preceedings site are brief - I guess because he pleaded guilty there was not much to argue about!
His first wife was still claiming to be married on the census of 1871 ( well I guess she was...) he continued to live with his second wife.
Question One: Would his first wife have been free to re-marry?

I would love to find out more about him - for instance does anyone Know how I could find out where he was imprisoned and if there are likely to be any notes on him still surviving ?

I have other questions about him but will save for another thread.
His name was James Hitchcock and he was a Blacksmith born in Thetford norfolk and living at that time in Chiselhurst in Kent.
Thank you in advance for your ideas.
Alice

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Jan 2009 19:26

His first wife would have to divorce him but that was costly.

You might find a mention about him in the local paper where he was living when he was convicted

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 5 Jan 2009 20:05

Thank you Margaret. I never thought of that.
Alice

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jan 2009 22:19

Technically, there was no valid 2nd marriage. Even if there's a GRO index entry, I think they won't issue an m.cert for it.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 5 Jan 2009 22:43

So I guess the poor first wife would have been left unable to remarry.
He continued to live with his second wife until at least 1901.
Alice

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 6 Jan 2009 00:09

Yes thats about it unless she moved in with someone herself. Have you tried looking for her in later census.? Or have you looked for her death?

He might have eventually married a second wife if his first died.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 6 Jan 2009 00:25

Hi Margaret.
Thanks for your reply. i have her on the 1871 (he was convicted in 1865) - she is married . Then I lose her. Have not searched too hard yet though. She may well have died or moved in with someone else and just changed her name. Will have to try that avenue. Trouble is she only had 2 children both girls and I suspect they may have married by then ( Indeed I know one of them had) - so not much good searching for her through them . I guess it may take some time but if she has been honest I will probably track her down eventually!
Thanks again
Alice