Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening Large Trees made availabel on GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mabel

Mabel Report 6 Jan 2009 04:07

This is just a general Enguiry about opening large trees on GR that other members have granted access to

I have had some trouble with this and again today with a tree that some one granted me access to with approximately 11000 names on it

I get access but when I try to open it ,it just stays on the down loading stage for ever or until I get an error message

This has happened before with very large trees of several thousand names.

I still find it mind boggling that people have collected all this information and, hopefully varified, about so many ancestors and/or relations.

I never down load the gedcom files as don't really know anything about it I just like to make a written record about the information on the tree for later varification by myself or as pointers in my own research and then share findings off site via email if the person is agreeable.

I find this the most accurate method of research

But back to my initial question:

Do others have the same problem of downloading when opening large trees?

Mabel

Mabel

Mabel Report 6 Jan 2009 05:33

Think I have found the answer my self in the help menu but for any one else that is iterested under: Tree permission and viewing other trees.

"If the other member has loaded a large tree of several thousand names then you may find it will not display correctly"

Mabel

Huia

Huia Report 6 Jan 2009 06:14

Mabel, some people have large trees because when others open their trees to them they just copy everything.

I have had people whose gt grandmothers sister-in-laws neice married into my family and they have copied my complete tree, including my husbands ancestors/relatives, despite there is no blood relationship between the me and the person who copied my tree. Admittedly they get only about 300 when they copy my tree, but if I had 1000 there that would be another 1000 for their tree.

When I have asked for info on a relationship I might open my tree, but ask them please not to copy any names which are not really related to them, but they still do it.

Huia.

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 6 Jan 2009 09:47

This drives me nuts too. But Search does work and you just have to go up and down from where the hot match was to find the relatives. I like to look at a whole tree because many who are related on one line turn out to be related on another or two. My tree has over 6600 individuals and I know others can't open. I have almost another 5,000 more already for the next time I download.

All but about 40 from a related line I still can't prove are hooked together in one tree including in-laws and sometimes grandparents so I can hook together spouses of relatives who are siblings.

I also can't understand why anyone wants names on their tree who are so unrelated. That's why I don't put my tree on Ancestry or other sites. There is a party out there I call "the vacumn cleaner" who has 126,000 plus names on RootsWeb.com. She is apparently related to some of the same people I am and also does specialize in two or three parishes from which her families come (so has all the names from those parishes), but I can't figure out how she relates to others of my family and she's not getting my tree!

Have an idea for a solution which I am trying to write up and submit to GR, but am not putting much faith in it being acceptable

Soldier on,

Charlotte

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 6 Jan 2009 12:09

I have this problem too! I've got a 5th cousin in America and he's got 11,000 people in his tree, not all of which I need to look at.

So I have to find one that we do share and go from there, but it is hard work! I'm glad I've only got 260 in my tree!

I think the other problem with GR is that it doesn't show you how you are related.

I used My Heritage alongside GR, and once you've entered people in the tree, you can get a report that shows how each person is related to you. Some of them are very distant, second even 3rd marriages and stuff, so I tend not to follow those routes too much.

Think it;s personal choice, some people want anything and everything, whereas others only want stuff thats relative to them!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2009 13:42

I don't have too many problems, as a rule, but then i never bother with the full view, unless the tree only has a couple of dozen names in it.

I have access to over 300 trees on here, many of which contain several thousands of names, and always I use Family View as a general rule, do a search for the names I am interested in and take it from there.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2009 14:14

you can have a bit of fun when someone wants to nick your tree by putting in a pile of fictitious names, such as Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse!!!! although perhaps there are people called Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse, in which case, I apologise!!

Huia

Huia Report 6 Jan 2009 17:35

Good idea, A of GG. Perhaps I will put Attilla Hun and Adolph Hitler and Robert Mugabe into my tree.
But perhaps I wont either as I dont want to be related to them.

Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 6 Jan 2009 17:37

Or in the notes about myself put 'also known as Hujen the cannibal who eats people who add to their tree names of people who are not really related to themselves.

Hujen the cannibal.