Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems with Family Tree - Advice needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 6 Jan 2009 10:38

Hi
Still trying to get use to GR’s new site and still prefer the old one. Has anyone got any tips or advice on how to hide the drop down menu that comes up when you click on an ancestor in your own family tree. Every time I click on one of my ancestors in my tree the Tree Matches & Record Matches box come up below my ancestors name and stay there. After clicking on several names to view details etc I am finding the boxes stay visible and start to overlap with other details. I’m then finding hard to see who is who. Has anyone else got this problem?
Sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2009 14:02

Not seen the problem before.

Is it something that is happening in "Full Tree' view? I only ever us "Immediate Family" View and don't get any drop downs.

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 6 Jan 2009 14:34

Hi Bilbo
Yes it is happening when I am using "Immediate Family" view. It shows you how many tree & record matches you have and also if your "ancestor" is in any of the census. Maybe your ancestors have no matches yet!!
Sylvia

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 6 Jan 2009 14:49

Yes, I was having exactly the same problem also in immediate family view. Solution? The tree has now crashed altogether thus solving the problem of the boxes displaying - neither does anything else! :o/

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2009 16:52

I have hundreds of matches as it happens..... !

In family view, when I single click on a name I see is the number of matches in the bottom of the box containing the name. The census matches also appear, but only as long as I hover over it Granted, the match details stay put, But can't see it as being a problem, as it doesn't obliterate anything, at least not with the browser settings I use.

Is it a case that if you double click, the match details don't appear?

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 6 Jan 2009 19:39

sylvia
it seems like a computor memory problem its struggling to cope with all the instructions that we give it so quickly. try slowing down and see if it still happens. wait for one action to complete before you go on to the next one, sometimes refreshing the page also helps? also i believe it is a poorly made programme, one good reason for people to back up their trees and always keep a gedcom copy on a memory stick or something even leave it in your emails?

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 8 Jan 2009 11:13

Thanks everyone for the advice…..

Bilbo, strange I am sure GR trees must work differently, I try clicking on a name in the “family view” and nothing happens. I normally only use the family view when I want to print my tree.

Grumpy, I agree it is a poorly made program and I wish they would go back to the old site. I keep my main information on the Family Tree Maker, but it is a good idea to put it on a Gedcom. I tried slowing down but still find they are overlapping on some family lines. I think it must be the way the “new” family tree has been redesigned.

Thanks again…Sylvia

PS – Can anyone remind me how to save the family tree to a Gedcom file.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jan 2009 12:57

I would add that the match details only pop up when you are looking at your own tree which I rarely do on GR, not when you are viewing another members tree.

To download your gedcom click on Import / Export gedcom at the bottom of the page and follow the export instructions.

GR will email it to you as an attachment, usually within a couple of days.

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 8 Jan 2009 16:40

Thanks Bilbo I will do that just to be on the safe side.
Sylvia