Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eva or Ellen Langley...How to find a change of na

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jan 2009 11:51

Hi there,
I am looking for an Eva Langley who I believe was born in 1883. Her father was Charles Langley born in Dorset around 1853, and her mother, Ellen (Possibly nee Sevenoaks) who married in 1880.
In 1891 the family was living in Maryleborne and in 1901 they had moved to Margate and Eva was working in Westgate.
She had a brother named Frederick Charles.
From here, Eva disappears...however...Ellen Langley now appears and it is her that I am looking for...believing her to be once named Eva. Ellen married William Hatcher in Thanet in 1906.
How do I go about proving a change of name. Did it have to be registered at all?
Also, can someone please tell me how I go about getting an original marriage cert?
Many thanks,
Karen

Helen

Helen Report 6 Jan 2009 12:00

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
about Ellen Lily Langley
Name: Ellen Lily Langley
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Thanet
County: Kent
Volume: 2a
Page: 1428 (click to see others on page)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Jan 2009 12:06

you can call yourself what ever name you like as long as you are not doing it to defraud anyone, no need to register the changes unless you want to

you can buy a marriage cert from the GRO it will cost £7

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Jan 2009 12:10

possible Birth for Eva born 1883

Name: Eva Lydia Langley
Year of Registration: 1883
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Marylebone (1837-1901)
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 570

Roy

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 6 Jan 2009 12:11

you say eva disappears after 1901 then ellen appears
could you explain that a little more please

vivienne

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jan 2009 12:13

Thanks Guys,
I actually have a copy of the marriage cert but someone suggested getting hold of the original cert. Is there a way of getting that from here in Australia?

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jan 2009 12:15

I have A marriage cert for Ellen and William Hatcher and I know the names of her family..children etc.
However, try as I might, I cannot locate a birth cert for Ellen although I can find Eva. On the marriage cert it is witnessed by Frederick Charles Langley and the only one I can find has Eva for a sister!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Jan 2009 12:29

Birth any good?

Name: Ellen Langley
Year of Registration: 1883
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Wycombe
County: Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 647

Roy

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jan 2009 12:42

Unfortunately, her father's name was definitely Charles.
Her middle name was lily

Potty

Potty Report 6 Jan 2009 13:25

Karen

The original marriage cert would have been given to the bride and groom. What you can get is a copy of the entry in the register, which you seem to have. The original cert would have no more information on it than you already have.

Is Ellen's father's occupation on the marriage cert the same as Eva's father's on the census?

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jan 2009 13:30

Yes, both Charles have the same occupation