Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does any one know if you can....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Becky

Becky Report 7 Jan 2009 01:02

Hi,
I dont know if im asking a really dumb question or if this is even possible but can you find out where someone worked between the years of maybe 1910 to 1926?

If someone knows that would be great
Thanks

Hayley

Hayley Report 7 Jan 2009 01:59

I suppose it's possible, do you know what area of the country they were living in at this time & what his/her occupation was?

Several of my ancestors worked in an iron works & local knowledge tells me that there was only one such employer in the area at the time.

Not certain what good it would do you though, cos it's almost impossible to get hold of employment records, though I suppose if their job was a bit more important & educated you may be able to

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Jan 2009 07:20

The 1911 occupation might be a lead.
Any certificates between those dates might also help.

Perhaps looking for a war service record will show his occupation before Service too.If it was an occupation like shipbuilding for example, he would probably stay in that employment instead of being called up.
Pin-pointing an actual location of emplyer might be more difficult, but check local archives near where he lived. There is a possibility that records may have been deposited.
You could check the A2A site for likely emplyers' records if you know the occupation.

Gwyn