Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

killed in WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 9 Jan 2009 13:27

Is there anyway to find out more about how someone died. I know he died 31 March 1918. And was in Royal Engineers, 62nd Broad Gauge Railway works coy, but can't find anything in documents on line war diaries

Carole

Carole Report 9 Jan 2009 13:40

Thank you David I will try that

LD

LD Report 9 Jan 2009 14:58

You could try this site as well

http://www.cwgc.org/

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 9 Jan 2009 15:44

Have you managed to trace his service history?? I was able to find out exactly how my ancestor died in 1917 from this record.

Best of luck, Dee xx

Carole

Carole Report 9 Jan 2009 17:09

sorry been away, no haven't found what happened but still trying. Where can I find his service history?
I have his cwgc certificate which is where I got his date of death from and that he was with Royal Engineers.
Joined the site sugested by David so will add to that site when my membership is passed.

Wondered if the was diary would give any info about anything that could have caused his death, or if it was due to illness. I have his medal index card which also gives date of death.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 9 Jan 2009 17:20

have you looked on Ancestry?
If you do not have subscription if you put his name up plus any other details you have like his service number, i or someone will have a look for you.

George

Carole

Carole Report 9 Jan 2009 17:39

Thank you very much.
It's 2nd Corporal John William Hobday (7th) Lincs regiment (no 11456), and Royal Engineers (310057) later maybe due to being wounded. 62nd Broad Gauge Railway works coy
Buried in St Sever Cemetery.

Back later

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 9 Jan 2009 17:49

Carol

There are 41 pages relating to John William Hobday, if you would like to have them, you will have to PM me with your email address i will download them, will take a bit of time though.

George

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 9 Jan 2009 17:58

There are service records for Charles WIlliam Hobday on Ancestry (33 pages) with the regiment number 11456. There are also 3 sets of pension records for a John WIlliam Hobday born 1873.

There is also this entry relating to soldiers who died:
Name: John William Hobday
Birth Place: Lincoln
Residence: Lincoln
Death Date: 31 Mar 1918
Regiment: Corps of Royal Engineers
Battalion: Railways.
Number: 310051
Type of Casualty: Died
Theater of War: Aldershot
Comments: Formerly 7/11456, Linc. Regt. (62Nd B.G.O. Coy.

Carole

Carole Report 9 Jan 2009 18:48

Kirsty thanks, thats the one. Wonder why theatre of war is Aldershot when I know he is buried in St Sever France. Don't know Charles Hobday.
George thanks for your message I have sent my email address and will look forward to a good read. Many thanks for your trouble x