Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

address records 1970 UK?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 10 Jan 2009 13:57

Anyone know how I can find out who was living / owned a particular address in 1970 in the UK?
(I have been looking at the national achives site but cannot make head or tail of it)
thanks
Dawn

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 10 Jan 2009 15:26

Its not impossible to do. If you live in the county that the address is in you could go to the local archivesor main libraryfor the area and look at the electoral rolls for the address. However, if you don't live close enough you could contact the archives and find out how much it would cost for them to do the research on your behalf.

The electoral roll wouldd only give details of those aged over 18 though.

Dawn

Dawn Report 10 Jan 2009 15:34

oh really - thank you
i have looked at electoral rolls online but they didn't seem to go back that far
Dawn

Sam

Sam Report 10 Jan 2009 17:19

Historic electoral rolls are not available online, you have to visit the Library or Records Office/Archive for the area of interest.

Sam x

Dawn

Dawn Report 10 Jan 2009 18:07

hi
writing is worth a try, i will but i don't hold out that much hope that the same people will be there - i do know the house still exists as i can see it on multimap.
Not sure in what way friends reunited can help without me knowing the people's names - please explain?

sorry to be a bit clueless but are the 'national achives' the people to contact then for the historic electoral roll? just i cannot find electoral rolls mentioned on their website

thanks again all
Dawn