Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Family Tree Maker should I get?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 10 Jan 2009 23:01

Hi

I have recently got a new computer with Windows Vista on it. I would like to install a family tree that I can add my family tree onto (including photos) so that other family members are able to view it. Is there a program that easily prints out (I don't like the confusing way that the Genes family tree prints out). It would be lovely to be able to print out a family tree including photos and dates but I know this is possibly a bit too much to ask for.

I have looked at a couple of previous threads on here but could find many recently. Is Family Tree Maker the best one? Is it worth paying the extra money for the 2009 one or would a second hand 2008 or 2007 one be just as good? Are there any free ones that you can download from a website?

Thankyou,

Victoria.

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jan 2009 23:15

I have FTM 2006, 2008 and 2009 but I use the 2006 the most because it gives me my own free website for my family tree with photos and images and which I can password protect. Hence anyone I allow in the world can view it all from their own puter. I also like the facility to back up all my work to internet storage for a very small cost per year.
All the FTMS allow you to print trees, reports, and even a book.

You can do the same thing though on ancestry - do you have a sub?

Most FTM programs come with a free sub.

There are free programs such as the Mormons familysearch.org

Victoria

Victoria Report 10 Jan 2009 23:18

Thankyou Heather

No I don't have a sub to Ancestry but the Family Tree Maker 2006 looks good then.

What are the printoffs of the family tree like? I would love to be able to post printed versions to older members of my family who wouldn't be interested in a computer version if you know what I mean!!! It would be fab to be able to print off just one side of the family (if you know what I mean).

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jan 2009 23:23

Yes you can do all that and there is useful facilities like error checking through the inputted info and also relationship calculators - so you can put 2 names and then bring up their relationship, very handy for vague ones.

Have a look on TWR computing or my-history.co.uk - both very good firms who will give you telephone advice if you need it

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jan 2009 23:25

Just to add, over on Family Tree Forum (free to join) there is a board dedicated to family tree software - nip over there and ask any questions etc. and whatever program you end up with, people on there are happy to help you sort out anything.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/index.php

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 10 Jan 2009 23:26

There have been a number of threads asking this question and it would seem different people like different programs. I have only ever used Legacy, got the free version first and liked it so upgraded to delux. The latest version has a nice chart making/printing program added to it.

Most FTMs have a free version you can try out first - so give them a go and find one that's suits you.

Victoria

Victoria Report 10 Jan 2009 23:35

Thankyou all. I'm just looking through old posts about it all now. Looks like I'll invest in FTM at some point then I think. I might try a couple of free ones and the free trial you suggested first though.

Thankyou again. Victoria.

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jan 2009 23:58

the free trial FTMs usually have some of the facilities disabled though

silvery33

silvery33 Report 11 Jan 2009 16:50

Victoria

May I say a word for Tribal Pages? One can put all details for an individual plus photos and add spouse and children on the same page.

The site is password protected so you have some control over who gets to see the details.

I have printed details of inividuals and their descendents, with thumbnail photos and ITS FREE

www.tribalpages.com regards yvonne

Victoria

Victoria Report 11 Jan 2009 23:13

Thankyou Yvonne. I might try Tribal pages first then before I go the whole way and buy FTM. I'll take a look at the website.

Thankyou.