Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 10 Jan 2009 23:59

My ggg grandfather Isaac Moore (born Ireland c1804) moved to Dundee in 1850 with his English wife and three children. His address was Dudhope Barracks, and his occupation a Barrack Sergeant. As far as I can see he lived the rest of his live as a Barrack Sergeant at Dudhope Barracks til 1878 when he hung himself in the Barracks.
He is proving to be an interesting character more so because he is so hard to find before 1850 when he came to Scotland. Being Irish (according to census birthplace) there are very few records i'm lead to believe for finding his birth and siblings, although I know that his parents were Samuel Moore and Barbara Wilson from his death certificate, but again thats a dead end. Is there any way to find out more about Isaac, am i right in thinking that their should be military records for him somewhere and how would i access them.
I think the regiment was the 78th Foot but thats a guess as I found a grave stone inscription for someone else of the period with this regiment on it.
He did remarry in Dundee and had more family also but prior to 1850 is a mystery.

Than kyou for any help you can give
Laura