Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evacuees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Jan 2009 00:06

Does anyone know if there is any record kept of children evacuated in WW2? I know my grandma had two children with her, and my mum was very fond of them. Sadly mum died two months ago and I have no means of knowing who they were.

Margaret

David

David Report 11 Jan 2009 00:23

I really doubt that there was. My sister & I were evacuated in WW2, and it was a 'private' deal between my mother and a work colleague's sister who was a farmer's wife in Cornwall. We stayed on that farm for over 4 years!

Most evacuees did go away as a whole school together, but what often isn't appreciated is that many kids only stayed away from London for a month or two. Once one or two went home because of mistreatment, loneliness, or a parent's illness, there was a huge drift homewards, which the authorities had no control over. It certainly couldn't be done today!