Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hair pulling out!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 12 Jan 2009 12:01

The 1891 census for George Massie, Liverpool showed his wife, Mary Massie nee Mawdsley, and her two sons plus, Jane Taylor, widow, sister in law, born in Kirkby.

The name, age and place of birth is right for the sister of Mary Massie, (I have found no siblings for George Massie)

Some very kind person on this site helped me to find a marriage for a Jane Mawdsley to a William Taylor, November 1881.

I sent for this marriage cert and the age of Jane is "right", the name of her father is right, James.....and the occupation of her father is "Engine man". Now the info I have for James Mawdsley..on his marriage cert he is a Labourer and on a census he is a Quarryman......would Jane have "beefed up" her fathers occupation, well we all do, don`t we.

I have found the pair on the 1881 census, just prior to their marriage, and both addresses given on the census tie up with those on the marriage cert.

My only problem seems to be she gives her place of birth on the census as Wigan, when she was born in Kirkby.

Has the enumerator just done a "ditto" down the birth place info to save time?

I hope this is understandable, and I must go off line for an hour or so but will be back later this afternoon.

Kathlyn

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2009 12:11

well there would have been engines in quarries because they not only used various vehicles to shift the stuff around, they had crushers which were a major part of quarry equipment - my f.i.l. was a shot firer in a quarry - that's how I know!!!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Jan 2009 12:58

birth places on censuses aren't always accurate.

Ditto-ing the place above is common.

The person not knowing for sure - the family may have moved when they were very young so they give their place of birth as the place where they grew up.

Someone else giving info to the enumerator/completing the form and not knowing so guessing.

I expect there are more ...

Jill