Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast Subscriptions and the 1911 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 13 Jan 2009 19:40

Hi all, i emailed fmp today to query why i couldnt use my explorer package on 1911, this is their response

1911census.co.uk is a PayAsYouGo site and will remain so. Later in 2009 the 1911 census will also be available at findmypast.com and at that stage a subscription service for 1911 access will be available. There is no date for this at present nor have the details of subscription access been determined.

1911census.co.uk is a PayAsYouGo site and will remain so in line with our contract with The National Archives.

Our contract stipulates that we must offer the service as PayAsYouGo at launch and are not able to offer subscriptions or records on findmypast at this stage. We are keen to increase the offering to our subscribers on findmypast and will look to add 1911 census as a subscription offer later in the year and as soon as we are able.

Releasing 1911 census on findmypast cannot happen until the 1911 census is complete. Once it has been completed we will be working to prepare the 1911 census for release on findmypast and will let our customers know the options for accessing the census by email.

All customers who are already registered on findmypast.com will be able to enter their username and password and use any findmypast PayAsYouGo credits only across both sites.

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Jan 2009 19:46

Hi Stormchaser

I had a look at this earlier today, and although it's good to be able to find some relatives, there are still some areas not covered - and it's a bit pricey. 10 units for the info or 30 units for viewing the actual record.
Not many people will be able to afford that.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Jan 2009 22:09

Being able to use pay as you go credits on both sites doesn't help those who already subscribe to FMP!

Helen

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Jan 2009 20:21

I spoke to FMP desk at Bracknell FHFair yesterday, they reckoned 1911 would be on FMP in the autumn but I'm sure they were suggesting that my Explorer subs would not be enough - I just couldn't take it in!

Confused -Helen

RobG

RobG Report 26 Jan 2009 20:45

Helen, That just confirms what I expected.
They currently have three grades of subscription - Voyager, Discovery and Explorer - which have steadily increasing access with costs increasing correspondingly.
On the FMP main site, they say that the 1911 census will "also appear on findmypast.com, where they will be available as part of a subscription package that provides unlimited access to the records for a fixed annual fee". (Note the careful use of the phrase "A subscription package" rather than mention any one specifically). I believe they intend to add a fourth subs package, that will include 1911, and will fit above Explorer in the cost spectrum!!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 20:54

A quick query to anyone who has seen an image from the 1911. Does it ask for age or year born? Trying to work narrow down the possibilities for my great gran.

Thanks

RobG

RobG Report 26 Jan 2009 20:56

Janet, It has the age (the YoB in the search facility is assumed based on the age given).

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 21:03

Thanks. Heres hoping that she didn't lie about her age!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jan 2009 21:15

You can view a sample image on the 1911census site.

Kath. x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 21:29

Well that didn't help. Theres only one person with her christian name coming up and in totally the wrong area. Its not fair, I really want to find her.

basman

basman Report 26 Jan 2009 21:35

you can look at a sample , but beware the form is not always compleled fully. I downloaded my family after first paying for the transcript and the information given was exactly the same as the transcript, not ine single extra :-(
cost me 40 credits altogether.

basman