Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

O not X used on a marriage cert as a mark in lieu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diana

Diana Report 13 Jan 2009 20:18

Why would an O be used instead of an X by a groom unable to sign his name? Any ideas please? THe bride and witnesses all signed

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 13 Jan 2009 20:55

Not everybody used an X for 'their mark'. Individuals had individual ways of signing.

Janet

Janet Report 13 Jan 2009 20:58

Just looking at a couple of marriage certs I have one for 1844 and 1879. On the first there are 3 Xs but on each one it states his mark, her mark etc. On the second only the groom has his mark X but again to confirm that the mark is made by the groom it is written at the side. Has the O been actually confirmed as the mark of the groom? or is it in isolation. Sorry I haven't an answer but just curious now to whether a person could legally make up their own mark.-J
....thank you Ozibird

Kate

Kate Report 13 Jan 2009 21:34

Maybe any mark made by the person was considered OK? I remember once seeing a record where someone had written an "M" on their marriage record - it was their first initial so I wondered if it was the only letter in their name that they were able to form?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jan 2009 22:07

I have an 'O' as the mark of a witness at a 1792 marriage.

It says.... O the mark of...etc

The marriage of another couple shows on the same page of the register.
Any 'non-signers' at that marriage used a X, so I presume that people could make their mark in a variety of ways.

Gwyn

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 13 Jan 2009 22:45

Yes I think that could be a mark as well. I have one signed with a sort of M, which was the given name of the wife, her husband signed his name in full, I like to think he taught her to do the M for the wedding.