Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evacuation - near Devil's Punchbowl, Surrey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 14 Jan 2009 18:06

My grandmother was evacuated as a 3 year old to a country house in Surrey near the Devil's Punchbowl and she would love to know the name and location of the place. It would have been a large country mansion, and it was owned by Lady something and there were quite a lot of children there. She was evacuated from St Pancras in London and was seperated from her other brothers and sisters.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you!

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 14 Jan 2009 18:14

If you google...you get a WW2 BBC website with reference to evacuation to Devil's punchbowl.

Suzanne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jan 2009 18:17

I'm trying to remember where the 3 London lads who were featured in a recent Evacuees series were billetted.
They were with a titled family I believe...although maybe Sussex?
It was featured not long ago on programme narrated by Michael Aspel.

Hindhead is the nearest small town to the Devil's Punchbowl if you are searching addresses.

Gwyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Jan 2009 19:23

Try contacting John Owen Smith:

http://www.johnowensmith.co.uk/

He's my friend's dad.

Rose

Dugless

Dugless Report 14 Jan 2009 19:56

There are a fair few large country houses in the Hindhead/Devil's Punch Bowl area. Any further clues?