Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census site help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 15 Jan 2009 12:09

Hi folks,
Help needed please. Thought i would look up 1911 on here and find out but has come up with too many matches. What is the best site to look up the 1911 and do you have to pay a subscription for the site. Also what are the charges for the census page that you need and do they get sent to you , or are they sent via email. And i have read that you would be better to ask for the origianal and not transcript, is that right?
Thanks

Potty

Potty Report 15 Jan 2009 14:30

At the moment you have to download the images of the original pages to your computer - you cannot view them on the site, although you can view the transcripts.

This is to avoid overloading the site in its early days and sometime in the future images will be viewable on the site.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 15 Jan 2009 17:28

thanks a lot everyone for replying. Will give it a try sometime. Do you have to pay a subscription for the pind my past site?
thanks again everyone. Like the tip about the comma, mine was really hard to find. Also some of mine came from rotherham and barnsley, so they might not be on the 1911 as yet.
thanks again.

Angela

Angela Report 15 Jan 2009 20:30

If you can get to Kew then you can view the 1911 census free of charge. You only get an hour at a time on the computer though.
Angela

Sidami

Sidami Report 15 Jan 2009 20:50

how many images would you be able to see for 60 credits please

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 15 Jan 2009 20:54

6 trancripts or 2 images

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 Jan 2009 16:24

hi there everyone,
thanks for replying to my question. I will have to give it a go. Just looking for three families and then i think i'm done boo hoo.
thanks again.

Trevor

Trevor Report 17 Jan 2009 16:38

if you go to http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911access.htm and scroll down the page half way down theres a 10% discount regards trevor

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 17 Jan 2009 19:00

Thanks for that Trevor will use the discount if I get some credits.

Just a quick Q about the 1911 free census search which can be handy in itself. Have found a rellie in the free search that is showing to be in an 'Institution'... does that mean it's a workhouse or prison? Just not sure on the wording. Thanks.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Jan 2009 00:04

It could mean any kind of institution, workhouse, prison, boarding school, hospital, army barracks - or as for one of my rellies she worked at a mental institution. I'm sure there are lots of others.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Jan 2009 00:08

Re the cost of the 1911 census, I hope you have all complained to FMP.

You can view everything free if you are prepared to work at it. I tried to find a family with 11 children; when I had found about 6 of them I decided it was worth getting the original.

Not convinced the originals are that more worthwhile - the transcript gives you the address and family members if that is all you need. But you can't download it as proof! I downloaded one original that told me there were 2 other children who had died, but on searching Ancestry they could have been any of about 20 children.

Margaret