Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know South West London?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caz

Caz Report 15 Jan 2009 14:02

Hi,

does anyone know of any old hospitals or institutions in the Balham, Battersea, Clapham or Wandsworth areas please?

I am trying to find out more about a great-uncle of mine who seems to have disappeared as a child and never mentioned again.

I had bookmarked a thread from this board that contained a list of institutions in London but when I went back to it the list seems to have been deleted. I have tried googling but couldn't find anything.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you
Caz

Caz

Caz Report 15 Jan 2009 14:36

nudge

Veronica Jane

Veronica Jane Report 15 Jan 2009 16:31

Hi Caz,

I was born and bred in South London as was my husband, and he remembers there being a psychiatric hospital at Tooting Bec, which is near Wandsworth Common. found this web site http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/EnvironmentandTransport/PlanningService/Majordev/mdstootingbec.htm
dont know if that will be of any use to you ? other than that there was, and still is St Georges' Hospital in Tooting ? and also Springfield Hospital Tooting : http://www.swlstg-tr.nhs.uk/contact/springfield_university_hospital.asp.

Hope something there will be of use to you ! If we remember any more names will post them on here,
good luck with your search

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 Jun 2009 10:15

Hi Caz,

Unfortunately lots of hospitals have been demolished; with I suspect loads of records. I can remember these if it’s any help.

“St James Hospital” St James’s Drive / Ouseley Road Balham SW12, now demolished (in the late 80s early 90s) and replaced with a housing estate.

Bolingbrook Hospital Sw11, Between Wakehurst and Belleville Road, now Geriatric I think.

“Weir Maternity Hospital” Weir road Balham SW12 (went the same way as St James in the 70s)

There were two children’s hospitals that served the area, one at the Oval, the “Belgrave Hospital for Children” (they whipped out my tonsils and I was promised ice cream afterwards but never got a sniff of it the rotters!) it was at 1 Clapham Road Sw9.
The other was the “South Eastern Hospital for Children” on the corner of Sydenham road and Champion Road SE26, both gone now.

The “South London Hospital for Women and children” was on South Side Clapham common SW4 opposite the tube station.

The “Hostel of God” 29 North Side Sw4, now known as “Trinity Hospice”

“Dulwich Hospital” East Dulwich Grove Se22 and “Kings College” Denmark Hill Se5 in Camberwell would also have served the LCC area.

Good luck
Mayfield

Caz

Caz Report 15 Jun 2009 18:43

Veronica Jane,

please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your help sooner. I went off on a tangent and completely forgot about this thread. Thank you very much for the info. I will check it out.

Mayfield,
thank you very much for your info too. I am sure it will be very useful especially as the mysterious great-uncle in the original post appears not to be the only one to have vanshed without trace.

Many many thanks also to Linda who sent me a pm to let me know I had replies on this thread.

Best wishes to you all.
Caz x