Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blackpool.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 Jan 2009 21:46

I'm trying to find my great grandather's death certificate. He died in Blackpool which as far as I'm aware is listed under Fylde for certicates. Could Blackpool be under anything else?

I've only found one John Bailey in Fylde in the period I've been looking at and I'm pretty sure it's not him, he's aged 49 in 1910 (sept Q).

According to all the census's my John would have been born c1857 but the John I found would have been born around 1861.

My John was killed in Blackpool by a tram, the family was living in Belmont Ave Blackpool for the 1901 and 1911 census's.

Their last child was born in 1908 so I've been searching between 1907 and 1911, since in the 1911 census his wife is a widow.

If some one could help that would be great.

Gypsyjoe

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jan 2009 21:53

BLACKPOOL REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Lancashire.
Created : 1.10.1936 (out of Fylde district).
Sub-districts : Blackpool; Blackpool East; Blackpool North; Blackpool South.
GRO volumes : 8e (1936-46); 10B (1946-74).

FYLDE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Lancashire.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Sub-districts : Blackpool; Blackpool North; Blackpool South; Fleetwood; Kirkham; Lytham; Lytham St. Annes; Poulton le Fylde.
GRO volumes : XXI (1837-51); 8e (1852-1946); 10C (1946-74).

If you need to no what registration district or when the district changed for ENGLAND AND WALES (1837-1974)

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jan 2009 22:03

The information on a death cert is only as good as the informants Knowledge not all informants are personal friends or family

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Did your John have a middles name?

I take it this is the death you have found

Deaths Sep 1910 (>99%)

Bailey John C 49 Fylde 8e 398

Do you have his birth cert?

Roy

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 Jan 2009 22:33

Unfortunately Ron that is what I'm looking for.

The Roy you have is the only one I've come across and I don't believe that is him the age doesn't match for a start and I don't have a middle name for him.

I'm waiting on his marriage certificate at the moment and hopefully I'll be able to work out when his birth was so I can order the birth cert.

That's why I'm kinda stuck at the moment. Still I thought it might have been a little easier to find him in death.

Gypsyjoe

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jan 2009 22:43

If his birth year on census forms is given as c.1857 this usually means anytime from June qtr. 1856 to June qtr. 1857 (depending on when his birthday was) and this is the only birth I can find in that time (if he was born in Blackpool):-

Name: John Bailey
Year of Registration: 1856
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Fylde
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8e
Page: 463

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jan 2009 22:51

Someone on my tree was baptised with one forename in 1840.
This seemed to serve him well until he suddenly invented a middle name when he married for the 3rd time in 1908.
He obviously wanted to impress his wife and knocked 10 years off his age too.
When he died, the lie was perpetuated by the informant.

The death registration you found might be the correct person.
If there is a newspaper archive, there may be a report of the accident which will give more indication of date.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jan 2009 22:58

There is also this birth

Births Jun 1856 (98%)

Bailey John Fylde 8e 553

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 Jan 2009 23:06

Thanks guys, I'll try those for births. He was actually born in Staining.

Though that still leaves me adrift for his death.

The reason I'm so desperate to find it is I was to see what I can find in the newspapers for the time.

Gypsy joe

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jan 2009 23:40

Hi Gypsy Joe

Death by being run over by a tram would definitely have been in the local newspaper, you could try the Blackpool archives office (wherever it is, might be the library). He could also be buried in Blackpool in which case the municipal cemetery might have records - even better if you can give them some names of others who might be in the grave.

Margaret

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jan 2009 23:44

Gypsy joe, As this death was an accident? killed by tram, there would have been an inquest, that usualy meens that the informant would be the coroner, so the info on that death cert and in the index is only as good as what the coroner new or was told, so if you are sure the death happend between the dates you say, then the death registered 1910 will be your best bet. you can always use a reference when ordering the cert

Roy

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 Jan 2009 23:54

Thanks Roy

I guess since I've come up with nothing else and Blackpool is a bit far to go to check their local archives I'll try what you suggest.

I'll keep you all posted.

Gypsyjoe