Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mariner ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 18 Jan 2009 12:02

I have the marriage cert of 1861, for my 2 x great grandparents and he states his occupation as "Mariner", his step father-in-laws occupation on the 1861 census is "navy pensioner".

I am pretty sure these two met because of their occupations, is there a site I could access to check the navy bit?

The names are as follows:-

Charles Moss, born 1833

Daniel Donovan, born 1812, Ireland

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 18 Jan 2009 12:18

You could try the National Archives site.

They have Royal Naval records but not sure from what year they are accessible on line. Some of the earlier ones may not be - but worth a look.

Jill

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2009 14:22

I was very lucky in finding my OH's GGF on there. He was born in Ireland but as a protestant had joined the Royal Navy. Gave his records online for about £3.50, even his physical description and his tatoos were listed. . However, Mariners in the merchant navy seem to have fewer records avaialable. Good luck