Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sharing Ancestral Photographs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 18 Jan 2009 15:02

I wonder how many people share there ancestral photographs. I have been sent 2 today of my great and great great grandad going back to 1875

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 18 Jan 2009 15:23

Hello Mark ,

I bet you are over the moon with your photos . It is wonderful when that happens.
Last week I was sent several photos of my G.Grandparents , the person that sent them had just discovered a hoard of family photos in her Dads loft .

I've sent some of the ones I have ( from my Mums side of the tree ) to other folk in the past . Sharing makes you feel great ( in my opinion ).

Amanda

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 18 Jan 2009 15:57

Hi Mark,
I have shared several,but only had one back,still I live in hope,that I will receive more in the future.

Trish

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 18 Jan 2009 16:04

Sadly I dont have many old photos of my family but I happily share what I do have and have been lucky to get quite a few back. Same goes with certificates, etc.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2009 16:26

I share photo's and fortunately, people share theirs with me!!!
Thanks to one wonderful lady, I have established almost wihout doubt who my father's father was!! I had my suspicions (as did my dad) - one being that he used this mans surname as a child, though was never adopted by him, but against this was the fact that he was 20 years older than my gran, was married and was an old friend of the family.
However, one look at his photo convinced me - it could have been my dad!!

Kate

Kate Report 18 Jan 2009 16:57

I've been sent a few photos (digital files) of my relatives on one particular side - my 3xgreat grandparents (probably from the 1860s), and one of their daughter and her husband, plus their son and his grocer's shop and many others. I have some portraits etc that I can pass on, and also a newspaper clipping I have copied the text of that relates to my great-grandparents' golden wedding. (With a picture of them both).

And I once sent a photo of who I presumed to be my great-grandmother to her sister's grandson - I wasn't even sure it was great-grandma! - and I got a reply back saying it looked just like the daughter of the person I sent it to! (So it must be a relative!)

One of the great things about internet genealogy, I think - you can exchange photos so easily. Even if you haven't got a scanner, a decent digital camera will get a good picture of a photo.