Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 18 Jan 2009 17:44

Does anyone know why after not accessing Ancestry for a few weeks, I am suddenly locked out of searching the parish records and Pallots marriage index, which I used to be able to search before. Have they changed their access and do I now have to pay more for what I used to get before?

I have emailed them but have not had reply,

Angie

Julie

Julie Report 18 Jan 2009 18:12

Angie

They have changed the lay out.....& it does my head in when doing a look up on the other census as you have to go the long way about it

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 18 Jan 2009 19:11

They have also changed the subscription packages.

Essentials is the cheapest one and doesn't include Pallots or parish records.

You have to have the Premium to view those.

Have you renewed recently?

Christine

Kate

Kate Report 18 Jan 2009 19:30

You know, Julie, it's driving me mad, too - even in order to find the "switch back to old search experience" link, you have to do a search!

(And I wish Ancestry would note - I do not want a "search experience", I just want to be able to search the census etc in a quick and simple way. There was somebody I was hunting for on the 1841 census - which is the worst one of the lot to search because of no specific birth places - and her name - "Susannah" had been badly mistranscribed. I only came across the family by chance - the surname was written on the original as "Winder", not "Winrow", but when I tried searching for a Susan* in Lancashire born c.1806, it offered every Susan born c.1806 everywhere in Britain!)

(Deleted post below was a duplicate of this, by the way.)

Angela

Angela Report 18 Jan 2009 19:53

hi Christine

No I have not renewed, its not due yet, can they just change packages halfway through just like that? Its a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 18 Jan 2009 20:46

Adding as I would also like to know if they can do that.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 19 Jan 2009 07:31

Hi Angela,

I don't think they will be allowed to change your access until your renewal date.

My subscription ran out last week, still debating whether to renew or not, because the prices have increased,and I still had access to Parish registers and Pallots until then.

If you click on My account it should tell you which package you have.

These are the prices now.

Annual Memberships Annual Price
Annual Essentials Membership £83.40
Annual Premium Membership £107.40
Annual Worldwide Membership £155.40

I would either email them or phone on the free phone number if I were you and see what they say.

Good Luck
Christine

Angela

Angela Report 20 Jan 2009 13:23

Hi Christine

Thanks I'll have to phone them, they are n't answering my Emails,

Angie

PME

PME Report 20 Jan 2009 13:29

I suggest calling them as I emailed them, 13 days later (last night) got a reply saying we can help you with that call us!! I didn't want to call them, but hey maybe if the call centres based in the UK they will understand what 'contacting trading standards' means, if they don't honour their advertising. Got FTM as and xmas gift with '6 months premium membership' but I put the code in and my accounts showing only 'Essentials membership', not impressed.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 21 Jan 2009 00:18

While we are on about searching Ancestry, can anyone tell me (a) how I search just a single census, e.g. 1841 instead of the lot (there used to be a list of censuses to choose from), and (b) which type of BMD I want to search, i.e. complete, partial or the other one.

Margaret

Caz

Caz Report 21 Jan 2009 00:46

Hi Margaret,

if you look at the top right hand side of your homepage you will see a button to customise your homepage. If you click that it brings up the list of censuses and bmds etc and you can choose which to include on your homepage. I put all the censuses and bmds on mine so I can search as before. It will save searching through all the censuses when you want a specific one. I hope this helps.

Caz

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 21 Jan 2009 02:40

If I can offer a tip for searching censuses.

I have no idea what a home page at Ancestry is, and don't want to know. ;)

I open a browser window and go to the main UK census search page:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/census/uk/default.aspx

Under the search form, there is a list of individual censuses.

I right click on

1841 England Census

and select "open link on new tab". Then I right click on 1851, open a new tab, 1861, open a new tab, etc.

Then in one browser window I have a tab for each census, plus one for searching the whole bunch at once. (Actually, I first open two more whole-census database tabs.)

If I decide to do something in Scotland specifically, I can go back to the main census search tab and open a tab for a particular Scottish census.

May sound complicated to some, actually it's hugely easy and makes life hugely simple.

The same thing works for the BMD databases.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Right-click on each of the databases in sequence, e.g. starting with

Partial FreeBMD Indexes & Images 1837-1983
births
marriages
deaths

And then you have a tab open in a single window for searching each database (FreeBMD, complete images set, 1984-2005 databases).

Two Ancestry windows: one window for censuses, one for BMDs.

In another window, I keep 4 or 5 FreeBMD tabs open and a couple of IGI tabs ...

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 21 Jan 2009 14:35

I renewed at Xmas and emailed ancestry about the christening and marriage records now being locked was told i need to unsubscribe and then rejoin paying for the next one, dam cheeky if you ask me!!