Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best family tree software for a Mac?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 19 Jan 2009 07:14

Hi

I'm looking for advice on the best software out there for a Mac. MacFamilyTree doesn't give me what I want in terms of reporting e.g. descendants reporting with life events, notes and references.

Any recommendations for the best family software out there for a Mac?

Many thanks

James

Angela

Angela Report 19 Jan 2009 08:59

The choice is rather limited.
I use Reunion 8 which is pretty good. I've looked at the more recent version Reunion 9 but so far I'm sticking with 8 which does what I want.
If you put 'Reunion for Macintosh' into Google you'll find the web site with lots of info. and demo.
Angela

Kate

Kate Report 19 Jan 2009 11:49

I like Reunion, too. It will do things like let you create a report which will open in your word processor so you can edit it to cut out sensitive information (or, often, in my case, notes about things that I have to check that are not yet written up "properly"). There's quite a range of charts too - fan charts, pedigree charts, normal trees - and if you want a "simple tree" (say, you just want to show brothers and sisters of a relative but not their offspring ) you can just delete any boxes in the tree that you don't want.

Also plenty of room for notes and things and you can even code relatives to show, for instance, that they died in infancy, so at a glance you can see which children of a couple you won't need to trace further.

I made my family tree report for one branch of the family into a kind of book and printed it. I don't know if you can add pictures within the text but I made separate photo pages in Photoshop and dotted them throughout the main write up when it was printed.

James

James Report 19 Jan 2009 18:09

Many thanks, I'll look at Reunion

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 19 Jan 2009 19:30

Hi James

There are 2 other pieces of software, one is called Heredis, but can't remember the name of the other one. If you visit ghc.co.uk (Gordon Harwood of Alfreton and Derby) they have it on offer. As for me, Reunion 9 is just fine.