Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding someone from the UKRAINE.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deanna

Deanna Report 19 Jan 2009 16:25

My mother was born in the Ukraine in 1919 in a place called TOLKEIN.
We always thought she was born in KIEV which
I have found may be spelt KYIV. Can this hobby get any more complicated?? ;-0)
However, I cannot find a TOLKEIN on the map but that is what is on her passport.
Can anyone help?
Deanna X

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 19 Jan 2009 18:46

You could try the message boards on Rootsweb.com. From the Home page scroll down to Localities Categories and click on More localities. From the list choose Eastern Europe, which will bring up another list, choose Ukraine.
From the Ukraine list I would suggest you try General. But as your mother may have been from Kyiv or the Kyiv region, don't discount the Kyivska board .
Remember that borders in this region changed often, so certain cities and towns that were once in the Ukraine, may not necessarily be any longer. Look at bordering countries for your town Tolkein, and try different spellings.

Don't expect words and names to be spelled as you are used to seeing them, keep an open mind. How they are written in the English language isn't necessarily the correct way.

K

Deanna

Deanna Report 24 Jan 2009 15:12

Karen thank you so much. sorry it took me so long to ger back but it does these days.
I will try that.
Deanna X