Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brick wall help!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hibbert

hibbert Report 19 Jan 2009 20:07

On researching a marriage I appear to have found possibly one half of the equation but not the other even though I know the name and have searched the same quarter on the full index image. Any advice would be most helpful.

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 19 Jan 2009 21:23

Hi,

I had the same thing, I ordered the cert with the name that I knew of, as I had seen the Banns in the Parish Records.

Kind regards
Amanda

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Jan 2009 21:43

sometimes the record you are looking for will appear on the GRO index in the following quarter

Roy

hibbert

hibbert Report 19 Jan 2009 23:11

Thanks Roy but it should appear in the same quarter as the spouse which I think I have found.I have a birth cetificate for a William A Jones born in 1928.sent for the long cert which shows William Jones as Dad and a Maud Maria Jones (formerly Colclough) as mother.I have found a Maud Maria Colclough born in 1887 and in 1891 and 1901 census. I have found a marriage for a Maud M Colclough in 1910 and 5 births to a Jones (colclough moms maiden name -on ancestry.co.uk ) The only trouble is ancestry give 2 males on same page 6b1309 Walsall sept quarter neither of which is William Jones and no William Jones appears in the same quarter with those details????

Regards

margaret

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Jan 2009 00:13

hibbert, You have been looking at the transcribed BMD on ancestry they are not complete, if you look at the Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837-1983
he is their.

you have to look at the actual image

their are three separate searches for BMD on ancestry

1, Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837-1983

2, Partial FreeBMD Indexes & Images 1837-1983

3, Complete BMD Indexes 1984-2005

marriage
William H Jones Walsall 1910 sept quarter vol 6b page 1309
updated; 1am these details are not correct

try using this link to get to the correct page

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

pm sent

Roy

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2009 00:47

Roy,

The image says page number 1306, not 1309 for William H Jones.

Rose

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Jan 2009 00:55

If ancestry stopped messing about with where they put the different records this confusion over weather someone is searching the
Partial FreeBMD Indexes & Images 1837-1983
or the
Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837-1983
just would not happen

every time they change it, it takes me a couple of days to adjust so that i no what i am doing again.

Roy

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2009 01:15

Maud didn't marry William H Jones. The page numbers for William and Maud are different on the actual images also.

Looks like she married Arthur Bradley:

Marriages Sep 1910
Bradley Arthur Walsall 6b 1309
Colclough Maud M Walsall 6b 1309

Births Jun 1912
Bradley William T Colclough Walsall 6b

Births Jun 1915
BRADLEY Gladys M Colclough Walsall 6b 1415

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2009 01:18

William Jones was her 2nd marriage:

Marriages Mar 1918
Bradley Maud M Jones Walsall 6b 1103
Jones William Bradley Walsall 6b 1103

Rose

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Jan 2009 01:22

Rose, Yes i stand corrected; Must be my age and the time of night :-)) I have just looked through the entire sept quarter for page 1309 and its not their so Maud m Colclough did not get married to william jones in that quarter

Roy

hibbert

hibbert Report 20 Jan 2009 19:51

Roy and Rose

Many thanks for your debate over the information I needed. The debate has sparked Rose's solving of the problem.Thank you ten times over-(rose twenty times over!!!!)

regards

Hibbert XXXX