Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Medal Index codes explained

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rita

Rita Report 20 Jan 2009 13:58

Hi -

I recently downloaded my uncle's details, he having served in the Merchant Marine during the war, from TNA.

As I couldn't decipher the notations against his name I contacted the Archive and asked for a decoding.

I have just received the following, which may be of interest to other researchers:

The codes on the Medal Index to BT395 are as follows:-

1939 (1939-1945 Star)
AT (Atlantic Star)
AF (Africa Star)
PA (Pacific Star)
BU (Burma Star)
FR (France & Germany Star)
WM (War Medal)
IT (Italy Star)
CL (Clasp)
OLE (Oak Leaf Emblem)

In general a cross through a code indicates that the medal was issued; a circle over a code indicates that only the ribbon for that medal has been issued; a cross and a circle indicate that both a medal and a ribbon have been issued. The letter "R" over a code can signify that an application for that medal was reviewed and refused.

In my uncle's case it seems he received the following -:

1939-1945 Star and ribbon
Atlantic Star and ribbon
Clasp and ribbon - I think this may be in relation to the Atlantic war theatre but not sure.

I need further advice from the TNA re. other inscriptions against his entry.

Regards

Rita