Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family historian

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 20 Jan 2009 14:50

When importing your gedcome file into family historian, do your photos come too or do you have to reload them?

angie

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jan 2009 17:18

I would like to know about this too. Up to now I have used Family Tree Maker 2005 and built a large tree with it, including many photos. Just now bought Family Historian and tried to import my tree. I don't think the photos have come with it.

Also, siblings are not shown in order of birth date in diagrams - they seem to be quite randomly placed. Has anyone else had this problem, I wonder?

Janet

Ron

Ron Report 21 Jan 2009 19:03

Gedcom files do not contain photos. However.

Family Historian does contain a link in it's gedcom files to where your photos are stored, the program also has a feature that's called, "Working with External Links".

You can use this feature to tell the program where the photos are stored on your PC and it will pull them all into the program once you have atered the filepath to where the photos are.

Use the Help feature within the program as it's quite a detailed procedure and to long to type into a post on here.

However if your gedcom was created using another program or you have downloaded it from GR then you will have to re-insert the photos all over again.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jan 2009 19:14

Thanks, Ron - very helpful advice.
Janet

Angela

Angela Report 23 Jan 2009 14:02

Thanks Ron

I have found Family Historian very hard to use, I dont think that it is very user friendly even though I am very computer literate, (normally). Meeenwhile I have downloaded a free copy of Family Tree Maker, which I think is great, not only is it free, easy to use but it also links you to your Ancdesty account.

angie

Ron

Ron Report 24 Jan 2009 09:26

Be aware that the free version of FTM will not allow you to export your data to gedcom or any other type of back up file so if you enter all your data into that version and in the future you want to upload it to GR or change it into any other program, you will not be able to unless you pay for the upgrade to the full version.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com